Automated fish feeders

Sdeluca10

BRS Member
Does anyone have any experience using auto fish feeders?
For like weekend trips or longer.
Pros and cons?
What kind of feeder, what kind of food?

I have a plank from avast marine. I fill it with a mix of freeze dried calanis, chopped up krill rotifers ect. My fish are all fat happy and healthy. Love it!

What kind of fish? My guys have went 3 days with just eating off the reef

I got a couple of these from Amazon and they work great

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230130-082457_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130-082457_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 54
I also have the Avast Plank, it’s a bit expensive but the way it pushes the freeze dried food into the water column is the best. I control it with my APEX.

2 Eheim feeders. One feeder above the sump return chamber that drops a small amount of pellets several times a day. Another feeder sits above the display that drops a small amount of seaweed flakes into a feeder ring.

Does anyone have any experience using auto fish feeders?
For like weekend trips or longer.
Pros and cons?
What kind of feeder, what kind of food?
If money is not an issue and you have an apex system get the avast marine plank. its really easier to program only cons is you need to use 2 outlet for it.

I recently went away for a week and used this feeder:

1675117526617.png

It works well and is pretty easy to program. I think using a worm gear to push out the food delivers a more consistent amount than a rotating drum. My biggest complaint is that even on the lowest setting it pushes out a lot of food. So much that I felt I could only feed my fish once a day using the feeder. I use a pretty small pellet food though. Might not be a problem with a larger pellet or flake food.

I use two Eheims for daily multiple feedings of the tank to keep the Anthias happy and the other fish fed with larger pellets. Supplemented with frozen foods, keeps everyone fat and happy, and eliminates the need to feed daily with fresh/frozen/nori.

It was only in there for a second or two. The pellets in the feeder were damp so I dumped him on a plate and put them in the toaster oven for a couple of minutes to dry them out.

Plank is awesome. With the right food, he pushes it down into the water column where it will stay suspended for the fish to eat.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back