back to the hobby build

MarkSzy

BRS Member
First of all thank you all for the knowledge update since my hiatus from the hobby. My goal is to setup a large LPS reef tank and when I get comfortable add in some SPS. I have been out of the hobby for about 9 years now and am excited to be back.

I will be starting with a used aprox 200g 48x36x27 dual overflow tank that came with stand and canopy. I first thought i was going to build a new stand but decided I could salvage this one and the canopy.

IMG_6096.JPG

IMG_6097.JPG

after buying new hardware and painting everything with marine grade topside paint it has made a big comeback. i used the same paint for the canopy inside and out to help combat the water/salt destruction.
IMG_6116.JPG

IMG_6118.JPG

IMG_6122.JPG

I then used a wood veneer to lighten it up a bit.
IMG_6146.JPG

For equipment i am designing a 40g sump, (which a lot of you have helped me design).

I plan on running/have ordered 2 MP40QD (already have one), 2 radion XR30 G5 LED's and a Pentair 50 watt UV. I also bought a reef octopus sro xp3000 external skimmer because there is not enough room under the tank.

the sump design will be mostly refugium with the external skimmer, this is not the best drawing of the sump but i think it will cut down on the micro bubbles going back into the tank and the turn over will be enough to filter everything.
Capture.PNG

Got my sand in the other day, 40 lbs of CaribSea live sand and 160 lbs of aragonite. I'm sure the Fedex guys hated me for this one..

IMG_6149.JPG

Last edited:
I have also been working on replacing the silicone on the front two edges of the display tank, the silicone was all hacked up and even had some algae behind it. Boy am I am glade I did because it was way to easy to take off and I probably would of had trouble down the line. Its not a perfect job and should of used some tape or something but you cant really see if from the outside.
IMG_6153.JPG
IMG_6152.JPG
IMG_6159.JPG

I have also started on the baffles for the sump and the "splash box" for the overflows into the sump. I ordered some pieces of glass from a local glass company and then used some from the glass tops I don't plan on using from the tank. cutting the glass took a couple tries but once I got the hang of it I had no problems. I also drilled the holes for the bulkheads for the overflows and the return from my skimmer. Yes I plan on making the rest of my seams look a lot better, I was worried about the force of the water on the baffles so I thought I needed more silicone then I actually did. If it wasn't going to be hidden under the tank I would have started over. Please if anyone has questions or comments you wont hurt my feelings.
IMG_6156.JPG
IMG_6157.JPG

IMG_6150.JPG

IMG_6151.JPG

Well done sir! Looking forward to watching this build! I'm in the process of building a 125 myself. It's quite the lengthy process! Good luck!

Well done sir! Looking forward to watching this build! I'm in the process of building a 125 myself. It's quite the lengthy process! Good luck!
You aren’t kidding! Besides that my wife through a wrench in my plans that the carpet we said we would replace when we moved in needs to be replaced before the tank… it does need to be done though haha

good luck with your tank, start a thread so I can follow your build.

o boy am I excited!!! my black Friday purchases came in early. Now hopefully there are no more delays in getting my carpet installed. I do regret not getting the neptune power block but maybe in the future.
IMG_6173.JPG

Well I have finally been able to work on the tank a little, I have been in a 3 week battle with the flooring company I hired. My wife was not letting me put the tank up until we changed the carpet and now i have to paint the walls.

I was able to work on making the cabinet to hold my skimmer and the new UV sterilizer. I tired to match the molding the best I could.
IMG_6179.JPG
IMG_6180.JPG

IMG_6184.JPG
IMG_6186.JPG

IMG_6189.JPG

Nice build! I feel like people are way too eager to drop $1k on an acrylic sump these days. I love your diy.
I love building things ( ie the 700 sq ft deck I designed and built during the 2020 lockdown) so I took it as a challenge to design something and put the money in other tech. I really went for the largest refugium I could knowing my skimmer would be external.

I love building things ( ie the 700 sq ft deck I designed and built during the 2020 lockdown) so I took it as a challenge to design something and put the money in other tech. I really went for the largest refugium I could knowing my skimmer would be external.

I love the diy aspect of this hobby. I've been on the edge re. getting into 3d printing to support my various diy pursuits. Seems like a big can of worms to open though.

Back