back to the hobby build

I love the diy aspect of this hobby. I've been on the edge re. getting into 3d printing to support my various diy pursuits. Seems like a big can of worms to open though.
I always wanted a 3D printer but have yet to pull the trigger.

looking great! any concerns with using compressed fiber board for the cabinets with all the humidity and moisture!

looking great! any concerns with using compressed fiber board for the cabinets with all the humidity and moisture!
I did think about that, the original stand was made from it and I painted it with marine grade/boat paint to help prevent any issues. I also plan on sealing all the seams with caulk for the same reason.

For the past few days I have been fighting the plumbing battle, with multiple trips to the hardware store for more plumbing parts but today I finally wrapped it up.
IMG_6200.JPG
IMG_6201.JPG

IMG_6202.JPG
IMG_6203.JPG

IMG_6209.JPG

Here is a very short video of both sides of the plumbing.

I then managed to squeeze in starting some of the rock work. I was going to do a lot of aqua scaping but after watch some videos once your tank is established with a lot of corals you loose the look anyway. I do plan on putting some shelf rocks for more corals and maybe even a type of island in the middle. Today I managed to get some base rock in and get the sand bed in place.

I also started filling the overflows and the sump, my RODI is only 50 gallons a day so this will take awhile. That being said it will give me time to do the rock work, I did buy the e-macro 400 to bond the rock together.

IMG_6196.JPG
IMG_6207.JPG

IMG_6208.JPG

so here is my progress, I made as many shelfs as I could with some of the cool rocks I was able to get. i may have left to much open sand bed but I may add some other island type pieces of rockwork in the future.

View attachment 169874View attachment 169875
View attachment 169876View attachment 169877
The one thing I like to do with rock work is make sure I start building up from the glass as opposed to the sand. I do this just in case I get a critter that likes to dig so that it can't move the sand under the Rock, possibly causing things to shift. I've never used the cement so that may solve the problem right there.

The one thing I like to do with rock work is make sure I start building up from the glass as opposed to the sand. I do this just in case I get a critter that likes to dig so that it can't move the sand under the Rock, possibly causing things to shift. I've never used the cement so that may solve the problem right there.
The base rock is on the glass, then I poured the sane around it to keep it in place. I also wanted to make sure i got enough sand behind the rock that is why i went this route.

Loving that rockscape so much. That much open space up front leaves you with so many options down the road for frags or coral islands. Awesome design overall.
Thank you, that is one reason I really liked the depth of this tank. A ton of open water swimming areas and open sand bed.

A special shout out to @Cpage101 for the tip on the joint saver I have pressure tested the plumping….

I am good to go! The tank is filling up which will take a few days but that will give me time to route all the wiring.

I don’t think I will be able to make the room to probably display all the controllers but I will do my best.

Last edited:
A special shout out to @Cpage101 for the tip on the joint saver I have pressure tested the plumping….

I am good to go! The tank is filling up which will take a few days but that will give me time to route all the wiring.

I don’t think I will be able to make the room to probably display everything but I will do my best.
glad I could save you some aggravation and $$

The tank has been filling and I had some time to run some of the wiring. And yes some needs to be cleaned up a bit.
5D7C76FD-ADDD-4E79-8EB4-5AE7DA8750C4.jpeg

877F8A71-18DC-4754-BC5E-4AECA6354409.jpeg

And then there is the case when you run out of room and have to look up for more…..
72BFCB27-08B4-4B66-9DE4-07875D4A416B.jpeg

Cool I didn’t know they made those. If those stainless hose clamps start to rust titanium replacements aren’t price prohibitive. Loving this build and can’t wait to see what’s next.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back