Better Temperature Controller than Inkbird

chadfish

BRS Member
I’m not happy with the histeresis of my Inkbird. Is there a better controller out there that’s not a full-on Apex setup?

Aqualogic/Ranco have good reputations.
Medusa temp controllers were also good, but I don’t think they are in business any longer.

I’m not happy with the histeresis of my Inkbird. Is there a better controller out there that’s not a full-on Apex setup?
You don't need a full blown apex setup to have great temp control. I have the basic El package and my temp stays in a .5 of a degree. In the summer time my tank doesn't go higher than 1 degree than set temp( this only happened because I didn't have my Amazon 4 fan setup).

I gave up on all the fancy aquarium controllers years ago for temperature. Many of them failed. You don't really need super good temperature control IME, +/- 1-2 F is more than adequate. When the last of my controllers failed a few years back I picked up one on Amazon for ~$20. It's been working well, and so cheap I have a backup one waiting.

The one below is for cooling, but I believe you can get them for heating as well.

Looks like they have a newer one that both heats and cools.

I bought this wifi temp controller which has a cooling delay that I can set in increments of one minute to prevent the internal cooling relay from constantly energizing. I think you’re having the same problem since you mentioned about histeresis issue with your Inkbird. I’m happy with it and cost less than Inkbird. It has been working reliably for the past several months

D66923A5-F689-4662-ADD0-B5D8EBA5CED6.png
5AF4C55C-F617-4168-9CD7-81B70DBA81C8.png

I bought this wifi temp controller which has a cooling delay that I can set in increments of one minute to prevent the internal cooling relay from constantly energizing. I think you’re having the same problem since you mentioned about histeresis issue with your Inkbird. I’m happy with it and cost less than Inkbird. It has been working reliably for the past several months

View attachment 167509View attachment 167510
Any issues with the metallic probe?

I gave up on all the fancy aquarium controllers years ago for temperature. Many of them failed. You don't really need super good temperature control IME, +/- 1-2 F is more than adequate. When the last of my controllers failed a few years back I picked up one on Amazon for ~$20. It's been working well, and so cheap I have a backup one waiting.

The one below is for cooling, but I believe you can get them for heating as well.

Looks like they have a newer one that both heats and cools.

This looks interesting. Any issues with the metallic probe?

I actually don't put the probe directly in the water. I usually encase such probes in a plastic tube. Small diameter CPVC pipe works well with a cap on the end. Sometimes I'll put a little sand in with the probe if I think it will float too much. Then I seal the top of the tube with some silicone cement. If you don't do this, in time liquid will end up at the bottom of the tube. I then hang this in the tank, or the sump. Of course encasing the probe in this manner will slow down the response to the change in temperature, but in our tanks temperature is moving pretty slowly anyhow. This is not a car engine!

what brand of Heating elements do you use? there are so many to choose from I'm going crazy! I am setting up a 200g tank with most likely a 40g sump.

I’ve used Eheim Jager for many years, Finnex titanium for a few years, and recently BRS titanium since they have been available.

I’ve used Eheim Jager for many years, Finnex titanium for a few years, and recently BRS titanium since they have been available.
Are the titanium ones supposed to be indestructible or something?

Im using cheapo ones from Amazon… “Orlushy” brand. The 300w only puts out 200w, but the backup 100w gets me through the cold nights.
I went cheapo because I believe most of these off-brands are made on the same production lines as the name brands and I’ve never had a problem that was out of line from a name brand. They all wear out after a year or two. Although I’m curious about the titanium ones.. those sound different.

I have a lot of old glass heaters that I use, only in the dead of winter. The glass heaters usually fail at the seal. I find that if I suspend them in the water (in my sump) in such a way that the seal is out of the water, they are usually okay. I've heard of so many people having heaters fail and loosing their whole tank I'd be VERY careful. I also don't rely on the heaters to control temp. Meaning I set them to maybe 82F, then plug them into a controller. Another alternative (particularly on a large tank) is to use a few small heaters, and just plug them in one at a time as the weather gets colder. Reverse the process as weather gets warmer.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back