Brand spanking new to saltwater, wet behindbthe ears

Ericgrouse0213

Non-member
Hi any help is much appreciated, I'm new to this and looking to start my setup for beginners, maybe some clown fish and a few reefs. I have no clue where to start. Help!!

Welcome! You have come to the right place! What scale are you looking to start with in terms of tank?

Welcome! You have come to the right place! What scale are you looking to start with in terms of tank?
I read that I should start with nothing smaller than a 40 gallon, I seen a nice 55 gallon, but it's all the accessories that I don't know about. What do I need to start up

I read that I should start with nothing smaller than a 40 gallon, I seen a nice 55 gallon, but it's all the accessories that I don't know about. What do I need to start up
Personally I prefer a wider tank than a 55g, which can be very hard to aquascape. Between the two, I'd actually go with the 40. But better yet, I suggest looking at what's available in the dry goods used gear section of this site. People often post good deals on used gear to help out other club members. Best advice I got when I was starting was to take it slow and do all the research you can early on to avoid problems rather than fix them.

Personally I prefer a wider tank than a 55g, which can be very hard to aquascape. Between the two, I'd actually go with the 40. But better yet, I suggest looking at what's available in the dry goods used gear section of this site. People often post good deals on used gear to help out other club members. Best advice I got when I was starting was to take it slow and do all the research you can early on to avoid problems rather than fix them.
Thanks so much for the information

Welcome!
The more you can learn before you start, the better off you will be. I must have watched this series from Mark Callahan 5 or 6 times.
Not saying it needs to be done on a budget, but everyone has a different amount of money they’re willing to spend. He does give options for better and best equipment as well.

Welcome!
The more you can learn before you start, the better off you will be. I must have watched this series from Mark Callahan 5 or 6 times.
Not saying it needs to be done on a budget, but everyone has a different amount of money they’re willing to spend. He does give options for better and best equipment as well.

Thank you I want to start off simple I don't want to blow alot of money until I get the hang of it 1st

Thank you I want to start off simple I don't want to blow alot of money until I get the hang of it 1st
This is where proper planning is important. You’re describing planned obsolescence. So start off budget and then replace with more expensive gear as you go. This is fine, as it spreads out the costs, but you do end up spending more in the end. There are pros and cons to this; one of the pros is that it’s like insurance, if you decide it’s not for you, then you can get out unscathed.

I went budget in 2020, bought entire working system for like $200, but since have upgraded lights, pumps, test kits etc that cost many times over my initial investment. Also now I want a wider, 4’ tank so I can keep larger fish - so my requirements changed at some point- maybe when I saw what a great job tangs are as part of @dz6t ‘s clean-up crew . I have no regrets, I am having a blast with my tank, just something to keep in mind

This is where proper planning is important. You’re describing planned obsolescence. So start off budget and then replace with more expensive gear as you go. This is fine, as it spreads out the costs, but you do end up spending more in the end. There are pros and cons to this; one of the pros is that it’s like insurance, if you decide it’s not for you, then you can get out unscathed.

I went budget in 2020, bought entire working system for like $200, but since have upgraded lights, pumps, test kits etc that cost many times over my initial investment. Also now I want a wider, 4’ tank so I can keep larger fish - so my requirements changed at some point- maybe when I saw what a great job tangs are as part of @dz6t ‘s clean-up crew . I have no regrets, I am having a blast with my tank, just something to keep in mind
Thank you, I have a budget of 1k

I like the BRS you tube series for beginners which explains a lot but there are many videos on YT that have great info. I would definitely create a plan and research and when you think youre done...do more. IT will save you time, effort and money down the line. Plan to spend money because everything is expensive but in the end its worth it. Dont be afraid to ask questions...remember that no question is bad...only the ones you dont ask.

Welcome to the club! If you're in the area you should definitely stop by the shop and we can give you the rundown on everything saltwater!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back