Bulkhead placement for frag tank

Joker

Viking Corals
BRS Member
Hows this look for bulkhead placement? I want to make sure they are in good positions before I drill them. One is for a 1" bulk and the other is a 1/2" bulk. Let me know guys

20210421_151137.jpg

20210421_151211.jpg

20210421_151224.jpg

20210421_151234.jpg

I can’t tell from the pictures. Is that the bottom of the tank? It seems kinda low. What happens if your return pump shuts off. Would the entire tank drain into the sump?

The hole outline for the 1/2” bulkhead looks like an actual 1/2” though, a 1/2” bulkhead typically requires a 1 1/4” hole

I can’t tell from the pictures. Is that the bottom of the tank? It seems kinda low. What happens if your return pump shuts off. Would the entire tank drain into the sump?
It's the very top of the tank. I have the tank on its side with the top facing me.

The hole outline for the 1/2” bulkhead looks like an actual 1/2” though, a 1/2” bulkhead typically requires a 1 1/4” hole
Yea I have the proper hole blade. I traced the inside of the bulkhead and then after I posted this I traced the outside lol.

What style plumbing will you do for the drain? Single drain I’m assuming as the 1” would be the drain and the 1/2” the return. Currently doing the same to a small 1g aqueon cube and could only fit 2x 1/2” bulkheads but I wanted three to have an e-drain and then Design it similarly to a Redsea reefer with a gate valve on the main until a slow trickle is in the emergency drain.

What style plumbing will you do for the drain? Single drain I’m assuming as the 1” would be the drain and the 1/2” the return. Currently doing the same to a small 1g aqueon cube and could only fit 2x 1/2” bulkheads but I wanted three to have an e-drain and then Design it similarly to a Redsea reefer with a gate valve on the main until a slow trickle is in the emergency drain.

Yea the 1" is the drain and the 1/2" is the return. I planned just to have a elbow slanted a little bit as I dont plan on having any small fish in the tank if any at all. I may stick my bristle tooth tang in there as he is still really small(1.5-2"). The return will be split off of my current 60g tank and it pushes I think 900+gph at my current setting which 70% I could be wrong on the gph I dont remember lol I still have the box just have to dig it out.

If I understand correctly, it may be better to use 1.5 inch bulkhead for drain if you are planning to push 900 gph.
Just a thought.

If I understand correctly, it may be better to use 1.5 inch bulkhead for drain if you are planning to push 900 gph.
Just a thought.
I think the 900gph was the flow rate on the current return line to an existing system that he plans to tee off of.... that was confusing even to write hope it makes sense

Yes granitereefer is right. Everything has been plumbed and running for a few weeks now and it's working mint. I just wish I could quite the trickling of the water going into the drain pipe. But it's not to loud I just have sensitive ears and can hear everything lol

Back