By name is Brian and I am coral hoarder :)

bdaley

BRS Member
Ok I may not be a that bad, but I need to clean up my DT. I want to set up a tank just for frags, no live stock at all unless I am told other wise. The questions are:

1, will a 29g be ok if not suggestions? I also have a 39 with sumps and built in skimmer also a 55 sitting around.
2, does it need to be cycled, plan on bare bottom with nothing but water, light, eggcrate and frags.
3, will have HOB skimmer, do I need more filtration that that?

any suggestions will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance
Brian

unless you are tied to the same sump, you will need the same equipment for filtration. Rock, skimmer and lighting...and it will cycle. If you tie it to the DT, you can be up and running with just flow and lighting. No cycle...

ok silly question why, would I need rock in a bare frag grow out tank?

You need the beneficial bacteria from the rock to help filter the water. I have tried a 20g frag tank without fish or feeding and it bleached most of the corals from lack of nutrients. So if you aren't going to have any livestock, you will need to feed the corals.

ok understand now, so really its just another reef tank without sand.

If you aren't using something to raise the frags quite a ways, a 20 long would be easier from a lighting standpoint than the 29g.

I am very open to other tanks those are what I have spare at the moment. I might just get a 40b for it.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back