Clownfish Question

Hannahhh

Non-member
I currently have two clowns in my 30 gallon tank. They are both small (maybe 2-2.5"). I don’t believe they are mated, they sometimes hangout in the same area, other times they are on opposite sides of the the tank. Occasionally they “flirt” with each other and chase each other a bit, but there’s no real fighting. I’m wondering, can I add a third (smaller) clownfish? Is that a terrible idea?

Hi, yes you could using in acclimation box, but it is possible that with the addition of a smaller clown your 2 older fight for dominance, if they are closer in size the order might not have been set yet. They might also team up and kill your addition. Clowns fishes can be tricky they might also decide to adopt it for a while.
I would use an acclimation box for a week or 2 and maybe keep only one of your present clowns it might be easier to pair a bigger one with a tiny then 2 of the same size.
It’s really up to what are willing to risk and want long term.

Hi, yes you could using in acclimation box, but it is possible that with the addition of a smaller clown your 2 older fight for dominance, if they are closer in size the order might not have been set yet. They might also team up and kill your addition. Clowns fishes can be tricky they might also decide to adopt it for a while.
I would use an acclimation box for a week or 2 and maybe keep only one of your present clowns it might be easier to pair a bigger one with a tiny then 2 of the same size.
It’s really up to what are willing to risk and want long term.
Thank you for the advice. I decided to go for it. I figure worst case scenario I can stick one of my larger clowns in my nano tank.

In my experience you’re bound to have problems when the dominant clown shifts to female especially if they didn’t hatch and grow up together. You’ll need plenty of space and a second nem for the little guy to hide out in.

In my experience you’re bound to have problems when the dominant clown shifts to female especially if they didn’t hatch and grow up together. You’ll need plenty of space and a second nem for the little guy to hide out in.
I’ve never been successful keeping nems alive, although I suppose I could try again now that I’m more experienced. Do female clowns not like to have two males?

I have very hearty nems if you’d like to try again. Mature female clowns will generally kill a third male.

You’ll do fine if they are three males but eventually one will shift to female and get very territorial

Back