Co2 scrubber

Xhxxh

BRS Member
Hi all,

my tank ph has been low between 7.6-8 for the winter. This is my 1st winter, last winter I was cycling my tank and only had fish so ph was not big of a deal. I figured today’s weather had warmed up a bit so I let my window opened sightly. After few hour, i came home and found ph shot right close to 8. i think I need a Co2 scrubber. Which brand would you guys suggest? I was going to get BRS one but then their co2 media was sold out. Any of you are using DIY ones? Will be nice if I can see the pic of your set up.

thanks
Kin

Hi all,

my tank ph has been low between 7.6-8 for the winter. This is my 1st winter, last winter I was cycling my tank and only had fish so ph was not big of a deal. I figured today’s weather had warmed up a bit so I let my window opened sightly. After few hour, i came home and found ph shot right close to 8. i think I need a Co2 scrubber. Which brand would you guys suggest? I was going to get BRS one but then their co2 media was sold out. Any of you are using DIY ones? Will be nice if I can see the pic of your set up.

thanks
Kin
plenty out there https://www.google.com/search?q=col...xmAEAoAEByAEIwAEB&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

I tried them on and off but you’ll burn through media too fast imo unless you do the recirc and then you create moisture issues.

I installed an ERV system in my fish room, problem solved (albeit not cheaper than changing media!)

I ran them recirculating as stated above and smoke the media. Better off test co2 in you closed up room and maybe cracking the window on the warmer days. I now run a 1/2" hose out the bottom of the window, but need to come up with a different strategy as there is condensation turning into mold spores.

Sounds like guys have tried Co2 scrubber but media was exhausted too fast and you went to other routes. ERA isnt an option for me since I live in a condo. I might try to extend my intake hose to the hallway but I wonder how much of a difference this will make. The longer the hose it goes, the less air goes in my skimmer I think

I tried a CO2 scrubber but I had to check pH almost daily. Not a big deal with an APEX and a pH probe, but still an extra chore. When the CO2 media became exhausted, the pH dropped, then Alk spiked, then I had to adjust 2-part dosing. For me, the CO2 scrubber was more hassle than helpful.

I did run a pipe on the outside to let the skimmer pull in fresh air, but it wasn’t necessarily. I’ve previously had tanks in apartment and condos and I didn’t have any problems growing corals. Personally, I wouldn’t chase pH.

I tried a CO2 scrubber but I had to check pH almost daily. Not a big deal with an APEX and a pH probe, but still an extra chore. When the CO2 media became exhausted, the pH dropped, then Alk spiked, then I had to adjust 2-part dosing. For me, the CO2 scrubber was more hassle than helpful.

I did run a pipe on the outside to let the skimmer pull in fresh air, but it wasn’t necessarily. I’ve previously had tanks in apartment and condos and I didn’t have any problems growing corals. Personally, I wouldn’t chase pH.
Great feedback! My corals are growing but slowly, so I want to see if higher ph does help with growth. Anyone has experience setting up neptune solenoid for the Co2 scrubber???

Great feedback! My corals are growing but slowly, so I want to see if higher ph does help with growth. Anyone has experience setting up neptune solenoid for the Co2 scrubber???
I’m pretty sure the Neptune solenoid is rated for fluid only not gas or air

We have a relatively tightly sealed house, so we had high CO2 in the house by default in the winter. It’s tough to solve this just for your tank with a CO2 scrubber, due to media consumption and instability if it fails.

You might instead think of this as an indoor air quality challenge for your house. Some folks have had luck ventilating just the room where your tank is, but it might be worth getting an indoor air monitor and trying to drive down CO2 / increase fresh air circulation in the rest of the house.

I’ve taken to running an exhaust vent in one of our bathrooms in the winter to keep fresh air circulating into the house and lower CO2 levels. I target < 1000 ppm CO2.

Last edited:
We have a relatively tightly sealed house, so we had high CO2 in the house by default in the winter. It’s tough to solve this just for your tank with a CO2 scrubber, due to media consumption and instability if it fails.

You might instead think of this as an indoor air quality challenge for your house. Some folks have had luck ventilating just the room where your tank is, but it might be worth getting an indoor air monitor and trying to drive down CO2 / increase fresh air circulation in the rest of the house.

I’ve taken to running an exhaust vent in one of our bathrooms in the winter to keep fresh air circulating into the house and lower CO2 levels. I target < 1000 ppm CO2.
Do you monitor CO2 levels in your home air? Which instrument do you use?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back