Coral ID please

luu78

BRS Member
Hi everyone,
I recently acquired this specimen without any labeling at the store. From the transparent flesh I’d thought it to be more of a Cynarina but is definitely missing the fluffy creases/folds typical of a Cynarina. The overall shape resembles an Acanthophyllia. Can anyone help ID this for me? TIA

60E755A8-2CCE-4688-A2C7-B0724CC81B24.jpeg

Not that I have any positive information of which it is, but I did download the picture and scan with Google Lens, majority of pics came back as acantho but some as scoly.

I’ve been seeing more and more of these labeled as Cynarina but they do look different than the standard Cynarina coral we know. First like you said, there’s little of the folded bubbles. They’re typically larger than the standard Cynarina and they also have a more solid color than the Cynarina coral.
Could be a new discovery waiting to be classified and given a name.
I’m a big fan of acanthophyllia. Not so much on the standard Cynarina but this new type of Cynarina definitely is more attractive.
It is not a scoly however. Scolymia Vietensis don’t have poofy flesh with skeleton spikes poking out of the flesh. It usually looks like sh**.
What people called Scoly is actually a Homophyllia Australis. This is the smoother skin and poofy flesh with names like Bleeding Apple Scoly, Warpaint, and Master Scoly. These are not Scolymia. These are Homophyllias. But enough people have called it incorrectly so….

Last edited:
I’ve been seeing more and more of these labeled as Cynarina but they do look different than the standard Cynarina coral we know. First like you said, there’s little of the folded bubbles. They’re typically larger than the standard Cynarina and they also have a more solid color than the Cynarina coral.
Could be a new discovery waiting to be classified and given a name.
I’m a big fan of acanthophyllia. Not so much on the standard Cynarina but this new type of Cynarina definitely is more attractive.
It is not a scoly however. Scolymia Vietensis don’t have poofy flesh with skeleton spikes poking out of the flesh. It usually looks like sh**.
What people called Scoly is actually a Homophyllia Australis. This is the smoother skin and poofy flesh with names like Bleeding Apple Scoly, Warpaint, and Master Scoly. These are not Scolymia. These are Homophyllias. But enough people have called it incorrectly so….
Another reefer and I said it’s a cross between a Cynarina and Acanthophyllia so it has both of their characteristics…haha

Once upon of time, these are all called “Donut Coral” and “Meat Coral”. My very first red Acanthophyllia was bought for $80 under the label “Meat Coral”.
After they been reclassified as Acanthophyllia, the price shot up. It’s now no less than $600 for a solid red acanthophyllia and can go up to $3000 for a multi color one.
C8A68B39-637A-4C97-81D8-B568FD449D1C.jpeg
919DEDCC-78A7-4431-B265-BDB8563CBB6A.jpeg
D7CC9756-45AA-4F7F-8CF6-748A4ABC1A74.jpeg

AB4398C3-D22B-43D8-AFEE-5D944ED0DCAC.jpeg

0190F3AB-0A38-494A-855D-88061CD4A186.jpeg

Last edited:
Once upon of time, these are all called “Donut Coral” and “Meat Coral”. My very first red Acanthophyllia was bought for $80 under the label “Meat Coral”.
After they been reclassified as Acanthophyllia, the price shot up. It’s now no less than $600 for a solid red acanthophyllia and can go up to $3000 for a multi color one.
View attachment 168501View attachment 168502View attachment 168503
View attachment 168508
View attachment 168509
That looks super sharp

View attachment 168501View attachment 168502View attachment 168503
View attachment 168508
View attachment 168509

Haha yes, meat coral, and basically nobody wanted them.

It looks like a Indophyllia macassarensis which in most cases looks like a hybrid of acanthophyllia and cynarina. Here is an interesting article on this

it is more widely found in the aquarium trade now. Originally thought to be smaller in size than acanthophyllia, but a number of larger specimens have been found.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back