Cuttlefish egg grow-out

luu78

BRS Member
Hello everyone, today I picked up a cuttlefish egg from Jay’s and thought I will try to grow it out since I have live mysis shrimps in my system which is kinda crucial as a first feed for baby cuttlefish, at least that’s what I read online. I think this is the sepia bandensis or dwarf cuttlefish, commonly available in the hobby. I always find live adult/baby mysis shrimps in my filter socks and so today, I suck them out and seed my grow-out breeding container with them. I also makeshift an egg incubator so that the egg remain suspended most of the time with fresh clean water running by it to keep it clean until birth. Anyone else keeping cuttlefish, please share your experience and thoughts. Depending on how this setup performs, I might source out more cuttlefish eggs since Jay only had one today. Anyone have them for sale please let me know as well since they interact/socialize better in groups. As long as the egg remain viable, I will continue to update with pictures on its progress. Here are some pics…have a great weekend!

71C7C8A9-7C8D-43A6-BC99-C9249310EAC5.jpeg

Breeding container repurposed for cuttlefish grow-out setup

86CFD96A-1118-4491-8452-0F4C287D67E5.jpeg
Makeshift egg incubator from empty epoxy tube and 3/16” acrylic rigid tubing bent in a “U” shape to secure to side of container. I marked and then superglued the bent rigid tube to the inside of the incubator tube so that there’s a little gap at the bottom and waterline is above the top to create an up-draft when air is turned on.

B20E7CC0-BE91-431A-B277-0433A5B7D3FE.jpeg
Couple live mysis shrimps in the container

5C47145E-A523-4D99-BAE3-9E058ADD3189.jpeg

Close-up of the cuttlefish inside the egg sac

Unfortunately, I found the baby cuttlefish unresponsive this morning. I will try again when I have more eggs to work with and post my experience to share with everyone. Happy reefing!

Good luck with the nest batch, following along to see the progress. I'd love to do something similar in the future.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back