Dedicated 20 amp circuit

Jonathan21

BRS Member
I am building out my office for a new tank system and am about to open up the walls and run a dedicated 20 amp circuit to the room for only the tank. This is in my home.

Is this complete overkill? What have others done?

I am going to run everything and have my buddy terminate at panel. He’s licensed. Glad to hear others have done it.

Don't mean to but in but is that somethin that an average joe like myself could do? ;)
Have a electrician put a new 20amp breaker in your panel hooked up to the desired length of wire to get to your fish tank. From there its just snaking a wire, mounting a 1-2 gang box and 20amp plug(s)

Have 3 lines of 20A for my system in the basement. I did all my attic and basement electrical wires also. I am considered myself as a handyman.
1421509B-FA90-4986-A5B5-C605B034E581.jpeg
0545F37F-3C3A-42F3-8C86-489722295E46.jpeg

Last edited:
Try and figure out a load calculation before hand. If you follow code and install a dual function breaker a single circuit probably won't be enough.

I had two 20A breakers installed only to run the reef system - one for the system components on the main floor + sump room, and a separate breaker for half the other critical components. I’ll probably end up having a transfer switch installed. The cost of the transfer switch + decent generator is cheaper than replacing everything in my tank.

I ran two separate 15A circuits. Adding up you amp load from all your equipment is not hard. Two 20A is more that enough. Just make sure you GFCI them since they will be next to water.

Don't mean to but in but is that somethin that an average joe like myself could do? ;)
yes as long as you understand basics - hot, common ground - and you have an existing open on your main breaker. I AM NOT a licensed electrician so this is not advice, but this is pretty simple stuff.
make sure you get the correct gauge wire - for 20amp i think that is 12/2.

All the metal on your panel is safe to touch BUT DO NOT TOUCH any bare copper coming out of black or white coated cable (bare copper is ground and you can touch it.

Run the wire from your panel to the first outlet. If nothing else you can look at all your other breakers common ( NOT STOVE, DRYER, WASHER, OR AC) breakers and put white, ground (bare copper), and black into the breaker like those!!! IF you want a second outlet on that circuit just a daisy chain from the first one. there are some pretty simple options to switch over to gen power if you go manual option.

I used this

Or you can add a battery back up which will go on automatically but you either need to spend a lot of money for one big enough to power everything for any amount of time or limit what you connect!

If you want it automated it might be beyond your comfort level as you have to understand schematics and wiring diagrams and if you get it wrong you can toast the circuit and possibly your whole panel (though not likely).

I have Tesla Solar panels with (3) powerwalls being installed in June. Should run the house for a week if power is out, so not worried about losing power. More worried about tripping a breaker while I am away if the circuit is overloaded with a vacuum or something.

Well I have 2 20 Amp feeds behind my tank that are 4 plugs each.. I did two because the new breakers suck....also if you own your home you can do it your self no license needed...

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back