Dinoflagellates

budboy

Non-member
Dino it's killing my tank, any personal experiences in wiping out this menace.
I have a 120gl 48x2x2 with a 40gl breeder sump. I've been reading so much out there and my head is spinning from do this and someone else is saying don't do that. How big a water change is to big for my tank?
cfcf84265cf5adc90222bc567e45054e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

I see diatoms and cyano. No sign of dinos that I can see. What makes you say dinos? Is there any particular part of that picture that stands out that I should look more closely at?

IF it is dinos;
Water changes often seem to fuel the problem
The dinos should be slimy / snot like to the touch
Dinos are usually stringy with bubbles caught up in the stringy parts - cyano does this too, but it's much more substantial with dinos. it's hard to say until you have seen both, but once you have seen both the difference is very obvious.
Dinos should re-bloom incredibly fast after being siphoned out.
Dinos should seem to completely crash in the dark, yet seem to fully recover / bloom rapidly when the lights come on in the AM.

Dino treatments;
-Elevated PH via constant kalk drip. It's worked for me.
-Complete black out for days. Scary to me, but it's worked for some.
-Peroxide dosing. Really scary to me, I don't know the directions because I've never tried it, but it has worked for some.

It looks like a bad bout of cyano!!! The reason for the brown is dying layers of cyano. Cyano is in all marine environments but can become a pest when you have nutrient problems. Phosphate being number one on the list. If you have rodi filtration you should change elements accordingly.

I do use rodi water, I get it weekly at jays aquatics. This was the only picture that would upload through Tapatalk, but the stuff is slimy with tons of air bubbles caught in it, and there is quite a few stringy redish Brown algae with bubbles in it.

I'm battling new tank syndrome with Bryopsis being the leader of the nuisance algaes. One of the guys I ran into at a LFS recommend using GFO in a reactor for a time, and it should have an impact on it quickly.

After 24 hours with the GFO running in a media reactor and a fresh charge of carbon in a mesh bag in the sump things looked miraculously better. It absorbs phosphate but is better than the media that have been employed in the past. It was a new one on me after being away from the hobby for a long while. I usually balk at the latest snake oils but this on has my vote.

ea7424ff1cc4b1e71109a6a5b6b673fe.jpg

I see lots of cyano. There could be a hint of dinos in there, but nothing clear or obvious. The browinsh area to the left and upper left could be a mix including some dinos, but honestly I don't think dinos is the problem here. (and that's a good thing)

I've been gone a few days and wasn't do back til tomorrow or Friday and came home today to this coverage in a lot of my tank. Just had my water checked at jays and did a 40gl water change on saturday before I left.

Cutting off the light for a few days, and vacuuming the affected areas into the sump may help the battle. Then you can vacuum up anything you see for as long as you want. Cyano loves light, it'll shrink down at night, and bloom up with the lights on. Obviously sorting out the excess nutrients is the other side of the battle. Clean the skimmer regularly?

Those last two pics look more like there could be a bit of dinos mixed in, but it's still dominated by cyano. I can't say that there are no dinos, but I'm still doubtful that dinos are dominating. Everything in the pics that is pink, red, or purple looking is %100 cyano.

Honestly, give the GFO a try. It worked well for me. After removing as much of my nuisance algae as I could, it hasn't even shown any signs of growing back.

Gfo in a media reactor. Rowsphos if you can. Will suck up the phosphates fast. And it looks like you have a lot of nutrients. Use half the recomended dose and change in two weeks. Until gone

I had about a year long battle, tried gfo and it actually increased it. What I ended up doing is filter socks and change them every other day. I would do a water change sucking out as much as I could then go to an immediate lights out for 3 days, black the entire tank out so no light gets in. I used heavy duty trash bags, this also includes the sump if you have glass doors. I had to be careful as I have a gigantea so go extended lights out was something I preferred not to do, so I would do this once a month. I could see them fading but it was taking a while. I did this for months at end, I was getting ahead of them but slowly. At the end I was pretty much lights out for 3 days then on for two. That is what got me ahead of them from what I could see. I would still suck out as much as I could before lights out. I did have some recession do to the Dino's and also the lights out had caused some issues with other corals, my gigantea had shrunk. Since I've been feeding the anemone every other day or so and things are bouncing back. It's been about two months and I have not seen any Dino's in sight. I'm still going light on water changes right now until I know for sure that they are completely eradicated.

Another thing that helped me was filling my refugium with as many different types of macro algae as possible and letting them compete for the nutrients that were fueling my bryopsis outbreak. After seeing the impact the GFO had on the bryopsis i mechanically removed as much of it and the cyano as I possibly could. I am ahead of it at this point and my coraline has colored up nicely after making sure my Ca and alk were at recommended levels.

Another thing that helped me was filling my refugium with as many different types of macro algae as possible and letting them compete for the nutrients that were fueling my bryopsis outbreak. After seeing the impact the GFO had on the bryopsis i mechanically removed as much of it and the cyano as I possibly could. I am ahead of it at this point and my coraline has colored up nicely after making sure my Ca and alk were at recommended levels.

Dino is nothing like bryopsis, they're called "the herpes of reefing" for a reason. The reason for the lights out is that dinos can strive in a nutrient poor tank and do the same in a high nutrient tank. No one really knows what they need to thrive other than light hence the lights out. Even at that it will take a while to get them in check and not sure if they will be completely eradicated.

My minor battle with Dino's lasted around three months according to my notes, possibly longer since I didn't know what i was dealing with at first. It coincided with adding a skimmer to my system which caused all the hair algae I had to die back, making room for the Dino's to move in. Not sure if the sudden drop in organics was the cause in my case or what.

After extensive reading my plan of attack was to stop water changes unless absolutely needed. Water changes seemed to fuel growth based upon my observations and the opinions of those online who I read about. I also backed off on skimming to dirty the tank and get back some competing algae. I maintained alk, ca, mg through additives.

In addition to stopping water changes the thing that really seemed to beat them back was siphoning out the Dino's. For about a month I siphoned out the Dino's through a five micro filter sock and into a five gallon bucket. I then took the water in the bucket and passed it through the filter sock again when adding it back to the tank. This allowed me to keep water volume without adding new salt water to the tank which seems to contain some mystery trace element that fuels Dino growth.

After doing the filtering, daily for around a month they just seemed to slowly vanish. I then did a water change and held my breath waiting for them to come back, luckily they didn't.

Not gonna lie in my case it was a pain in the a** dealing with them, even though my case was minor. Siphoning them out only to have patches form again in a matter of minutes, and this happening for days on end, it was disheartening. You just have to be very persistent and patient and when you overcome them it will be very gratifying to have your reef back.

This is all based on my experience and for all I know it could of been for some other unknown factor that led to their demise haha.

Back