Disposal of 75G tank

Joshbd

BRS Member
So, I just took ownership of a new Red Sea Reefer 350 G2, however it came with a large chip in the front bottom right corner. Aesthetics aside, it shouldn't be trusted to hold water. Luckily, the good people at Red Sea are kindly replacing it under warranty, but have informed me that's my obligation to dispose of the broken tank, which at 75G and 1/2 glass is very large, heavy and not something I can lift by myself -- nor will the garbage folks just pick up here in Lexington. I also had to send them a written statement via email that I wouldn't sell, use or give away the aquarium. So, while this puts me in a tough spot, I'm going to respect their reasonable request and not to do any of those things.

I was told that I can either take it to the dump (which isn't feasible for me), or pay to have a service come take it. I'm going to choose the second option. Please send me a message if you are willing to provide such a service. As compensation I can pay a $1 fee.

Attachments

• 20220913_132657.jpg
    20220913_132657.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 139
I wonder if you might be able to give it away as scrap glass, not as a working aquarium? A few people on here have definitely given away cracked tanks to members who will use the glass itself

Yup, definitely wouldn't consider it a working aquarium, and even willing to pay a couple bucks to get it off my hands. If folks happen to take it apart for use of the 1/2 glass, that's up to them. And, certainly seems less wasteful than adding more broken glass to a landfill...

It is a nice tank. Look like the tank can hold the water and can be outdoor tank or terrarium tank. Can you put it on the curbside as trash then someone can take it as trash and use as whatever. Just a thought!

Hi, just bumping this up to the top. I'm going to implore our local trash guy to dispose of it next Monday if no takers here. Nobody wants an overbuilt iguana tank or use the glass for their next project?

Last bump, trash guy said to break it into pieces. Don't make me take a hammer to 1/2 inch starphire glass. I'll do it...

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back