Dosers / Dosing

enthusiastic reefer

BRS Member
Hi everyone,
I have been trying to make my tank better in every way possible. So I was just curious what kind of dosers you guys would recommend trying to stay on a budget ( 75-100 dollars preferably). Also what you would dose. I have heard all for reef or reef code A and B.
Thank you
Sincerely,
Enthusiastic reefer

I use a Neptune DOS and Bulk Reef soda ash, calcium and magnesium. If your tank doesn’t have lots of coral you can hand dose once a week or so. How often are you testing your ALK and CAlcium?

BRS dosers are great budget options ($60 each?wait until Black Friday if you can). Jeabo also makes a decent budget doser but I don’t have any personal experience with it.

For 2-part, BRS also sells their own, or you could go with a premixed concentrate such a B-ionic. For large tanks I’d favor BRS 2-part powders but for nanos I’d say just get B-ionic.

You can also consider switching salts to something with higher alk and Ca or more water changes as a holdover until you have enough corals to require alk/Ca dosing. You could also get some BRS or other dosing jugs with hand pump and just manually dose until you find some decent priced pumps (this forum often has used BRS pumps for good prices).

That’s a good idea my birthday is also around their so maybe I will have some extra cash to spare. Thanks you for the suggestion

If you don’t have any corals or only a few softies or lps corals. Chances are you do not need to dose at all and don’t need to test
If you dose then you need to test

I don’t plan to dose anything until I do SPS species

I have not dosed nor tested anything (even ammonia, nitrate, nitrate or PH) since I filled my tank and soft corals are doing just fine

For doser, I would say go with one of those that has multiple heads like DOS or bubble Magnus doser,,,etc instead the
BRS single pump
Less equipment is always good in this hobby

Last edited:
If you cant keep up with cal/alk/Mag through water changes one thing Im going to try this go around is dosing all for reef which only requires a single doser which will be in your budget.

If you don’t have any corals or only a few softies or lps corals. Chances are you do not need to dose at all and don’t need to test
If you dose then you need to test

I don’t plan to dose anything until I do SPS species

I have not dosed nor tested anything (even ammonia, nitrate, nitrate or PH) since I filled my tank and soft corals are doing just fine

For doser, I would say go with one of those that has multiple heads like DOS or bubble Magnus doser,,,etc instead the
BRS single pump
Less equipment is always good in this hobby
Thanks for the suggestion unfortunately, I have and want more sps and some harder to keep lps. Thanks for the suggestion though

Don’t be scared of kalkwasser. There’s tons of options and if it’s cheap you want, can’t beat good old kalk. Won’t bother telling you how to use it but search for it and you’ll find a way that works for you.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back