EchoTech Radion G5 Schedule

nilaydeshmukh

BRS Member
Was curious what schedules other reefers are successfully using for Radion G5s for a mixed reef. I have been using AB+ preset @ 50% with lights hanging 8" above the water surface. I am of course posing the question because my SPSs fade out. After doing everything else (that I could) with regards to water parameters and flow I am wondering if I have too much light with AB+. The PAR reads 300sh in the middle of the tank. My tank is 2'-0" deep.

There are mixed opinions that corals don't need too much white and red and mostly blues Wondering what settings other reefers are using successfully.

Nilay,
FWIW, there's my schedule. I run the AB+ template. I wouldn't say my tank is where I want it to be but it's improving in colors to me.
I used to run just 45% with PAR of 380 on top most frag and 200 on the sand. From what I was reading, this seem to be plenty and sweet spot for most acros. But I wasn't getting the color I want. I woke up one morning and the first thing I did was reaching for my phone and looked for a Geisemann Spectra with 3x250W SE and 4x80W T5s. The same fixture I ran my last tank. But I couldn't find a feasible way to buy it.
I decided that day to increase the Radion G5 and see what happens. For the past 6 weeks, I've been increasing that 45% 5% each week and see if there's any negative reaction from any corals. I was mainly concern about the LPS. Week after week, I didn't see any tip burn or bleached corals. Only slight improvement in colors every time I increase the light. I wanted to stop the intensity at 70% but I pushed a two hour high noon at 75%.
I have not tested par because I don't have the meter with me right now. But I trust what I see on my corals. I will let this new schedule soak in for another 6 months before I make a decision on what to do with these lights. I think they're good lights but maybe I'm just not using it right.

F1AA9475-D908-4706-947D-30D0FA8E9127.png

Last edited:
Thanks Nick for a thorough response. How far away your lights from the water surface? How many hours is that schedule.

I kept thinking that 45% was too high. I was thinking of tuning them down but but you seem to be going in opposite direction and finding better results! I saw a Jason Fox's video where he says keep it to all blues and low, the corals are harvested from 40'-60' below the surface where other light spectrums don't reach and light is not as strong. He uses whites at 10% for 3 hours a day, he however uses T5s to supplement. There are no good standards in this hobby to follow. What is standard is that you are happy with the tank some days and frustrated on other day :)

I am not sure if anyone else is having success with solely using Radion G5s.

Thanks again Nick!

On a 84"x34x28" tank, the 5 Radion G5 are mounted in an acrylic floating canopy that has a height of 10" and 5" above the tank. With 1.5" of water line, I would say the lights are around 15" above the water.
The light schedule is from 2-10pm with 2-3:30 ramping from 0% to 70%. Then from 3:30pm to 5pm with a slow ramp of 70%-75% where it stays at peak intensity for 2 hours. At 7pm, the slow ramp begins til 8:30pm where the last ramp down occur. Then the moonlight comes on for 3 hours before it goes completely dark.
I think this is all bullshit. lol. I was doing just fine with a hard turn on and off when I was using MH/T5. I don't know where this new set up is going to go. I need more time....
It's hard to say what is the standard. Light penetrates differently due to water quality. So what 45% works for some people, it may not work for you. I also think how much nutrient and microscopic stuff we don't see in the water can probably change the spectrum a bit. Who knows!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back