First salt water setup

Pjy95

BRS Member
This isn’t the greatest build thread but it’s just a look into my start in salt water, first I have to thank my cousin (should just say brother as we lived together for prob half our lives) @Pat02026 but after watching him do a salt water tank over 10 years ago and always being with him for coral and fish purchases he sparked the urge to want my own. Pat was the one that throughout the idea to run a sump under the 65.4 aio instead of just using what was given and given his experience I wasn’t gonna deny lol he was also kind enough to donate lights and his old sump and skimmer for me. Also came by to drill out the tank cause I wasn’t gonna chance it on my own.

Few progress pictures along the way and the final two pictures are how it sits now with the pair of hydra 32s

Attachments

• IMG_5816.png
    IMG_5816.png
    221.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5817.png
    IMG_5817.png
    415.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5818.png
    IMG_5818.png
    367 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5820.png
    IMG_5820.png
    206 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5821.png
    IMG_5821.png
    498 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5824.png
    IMG_5824.png
    384.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5823.jpeg
    IMG_5823.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 119
I just added a Hydra 32 to a 29 gallon and really like it. Did you use the group par meter to tune them? Curious what the go-forward plan is. Build threads by pure newbies are valuable in that you see the process and the mistakes not made by more experienced reefers. I have been keeping saltwater for 30 years but only reefing for 4, and when I started a nano reef threads like this were invaluable to me. Setup looks great.

I just added a Hydra 32 to a 29 gallon and really like it. Did you use the group par meter to tune them? Curious what the go-forward plan is. Build threads by pure newbies are valuable in that you see the process and the mistakes not made by more experienced reefers. I have been keeping saltwater for 30 years but only reefing for 4, and when I started a nano reef threads like this were invaluable to me. Setup looks great.
Thank you , the tank is coming along if I’m being honest I wish I didn’t rush into the aio tank like I did it was a supper spontaneous purchase that I slightly regret cause I really have my heart set on a 75 gallon that I can utilize the full tank without having the back taking up useless space but that’s my winter/next year goal is to upgrade

And to be 100% truthful which I know this may stir up some controversy I haven’t even used a par meter I downloaded one of the presets off of aqua illumination website and slightly changed what hours they come on but just went with the send it approach and whatever happens happens lol

Do you have any pics of your 29 gallon? Would love to see it

If you use the BRS recommended settings on the Hydra at 14" off the water you should see a nice distribution of PAR between 100 and 250 for the most part. Depending on what sort of coral you're planning on you may not need to tune it further, although always good to know for sure.

If you use the BRS recommended settings on the Hydra at 14" off the water you should see a nice distribution of PAR between 100 and 250 for the most part. Depending on what sort of coral you're planning on you may not need to tune it further, although always good to know for sure.
Were Would I find them on here ? I’m definitely going to check them out never hurt to try something different that may benefit me better . I wish I had a plan for coral I kind of want a little bit of everything but I’m not sure if that’s possible

Now that I’m thinking of it I was thinking brs being the forums but now I’m thinking bulk reef supply ?

I am in possession of the south par meter right now. There is a thread on here with information regarding the swap of the meter, but essentially you send @Mixed Reefer your license and information, we coordinate a handoff, and you give me a $40 deposit which is repaid to you when you pass it on.

On the recommended setting, yes Bulk Reef Supply. They recommend as follows:

• UV: 110%
  • Violet: 110%
  • Royal: 120%
  • Blue: 120%
  • Green: 10%
  • Deep Red: 10%
  • Moonlight: n/a
  • Cool White: 60%
For a tank your size I would turn those back ratably by using a little math. For example, I have the blues at 90%, UV and violet at 82%, and so on, and I am getting a nice distribution. Again this is at 14", the closer you get to the water the more erratic your readings will be (super high in the center, super low on the outsides).

very nice and looks so clean.
I am amazed that someone who is new to saltwater and has the courage to start their first tank with such a beautiful and stylist, rimless tank. I remember my first saltwater tank was one of those 29g petco tank.

I am in possession of the south par meter right now. There is a thread on here with information regarding the swap of the meter, but essentially you send @Mixed Reefer your license and information, we coordinate a handoff, and you give me a $40 deposit which is repaid to you when you pass it on.

On the recommended setting, yes Bulk Reef Supply. They recommend as follows:

• UV: 110%
  • Violet: 110%
  • Royal: 120%
  • Blue: 120%
  • Green: 10%
  • Deep Red: 10%
  • Moonlight: n/a
  • Cool White: 60%
For a tank your size I would turn those back ratably by using a little math. For example, I have the blues at 90%, UV and violet at 82%, and so on, and I am getting a nice distribution. Again this is at 14", the closer you get to the water the more erratic your readings will be (super high in the center, super low on the outsides).
Thank you for all this info! Def all things I’m going to keep in mind for sure! Love hearing from you guys that have been doing this forever

very nice and looks so clean.
I am amazed that someone who is new to saltwater and has the courage to start their first tank with such a beautiful and stylist, rimless tank. I remember my first saltwater tank was one of those 29g petco tank.
Appreciate it ! My original plan was to just turn my 55gal basic tank fresh water into salt just so I could learn everything but when I saw a friend selling the waterbox I couldn’t pass it up

Back