WTB First time parrot

Lilys

BRS Member
Hi, my nearly 16 years old daughter would like to have a bird. We are in research mode and so far we are looking into 2 species : brown headed parrot and pionus.
We are looking into rescue ( in need of a new home) depending on the health and behavior problems. We are also looking into breeders.
If you know someone that need a new home for their companion or people who are breeding these 2 species of parrots feel free to put us in contact. A recommendation for a real competent pet-shop that you have experience with is also appreciated.
So far we found a few options but I like to know other people experience before adopting or buying.
Thanks

I had a conure for a short time and I can provide some input from my limited experience.

Great personalities, loving, very needy, with long lifespans of 25-30 years.

Can suddenly die from a health or respiratory problem or something like someone overheating a Teflon pan, burning candles, spraying aerosols, etc…

A lot of birds get put up for adoption once the kids leave to college. Check for ones that aren’t pulling out their feathers or exhibiting other behavioral problems.

Mine liked to perch on my head or shoulder. Unfortunately I developed a bird allergy which eventually ended up with me in the hospital for 4 days. Knowing what I know now I would pass on getting a bird due to allergies and COVID. But if you don’t have bird allergies or don’t develop a bird allergy, a parrot or similar could be a wonderful lifetime pet.

I’ve had birds all my life. Adoption is an option but some birds have bad habits such as biting and swearing. They can be corrected but will take some serious training and trust on your part. This process can be painful literally. Birds are a very smart, do your research and be prepared before bringing into your home. My Scarlet will live over 100 years. Ask yourself if your committed. Birds can be challenging but make awesome family members. Definitely rewarding
0509DDC1-9B2E-467A-87B7-0592D39DA862.png

Thank you, so far our research points to the 2 species I mentioned in my post they seems to have medium lifespan and great personality without the over social ness of some other type of parrots. We are still in research and thinking mode.

Exactly as said by @Mixed Reefer above. I have an african grey and a canary winged parakeet. Both are rescue. It needs a lot of commitment, patience and spending time with them.

Do a ton of research before you decide on getting one. If you can adopt, I would recommend that over buying from a breeder. If you are interested, check out Foster Parrots in Hope Valley, RI. (https://www.fosterparrots.com/)

1632707771877.jpeg

I’ve had birds all my life. Adoption is an option but some birds have bad habits such as biting and swearing. They can be corrected but will take some serious training and trust on your part. This process can be painful literally. Birds are a very smart, do your research and be prepared before bringing into your home. My Scarlet will live over 100 years. Ask yourself if your committed. Birds can be challenging but make awesome family members. Definitely rewarding View attachment 166290
Wow! I had no idea you have a scarlet! Idk why I thought you had a conure or something small! Cool!

Hi ya. Back in the day i bred macaws and lories and eclectus, mostly for disney. My macks sit in the tree of life. Lories/macaws unlimited. My pic for anyone would be to get a incubator hand raised male or female eclectus. Not only are they quiet, but they dont pluck themselves bald. They are inquisitive but dont flip out. If you could get a chattering lory...awesome bird. Not quite sure the laws on keeping them now. Being 16 and going into adulthood this may be a phase. You will end up rehoming, mostly for free. Larger birds are more difficult to rehome and end up going into breeding situations. Maybe start with smaller birds that a not as vocal. Conures are extremely loud ear piercing. Dont be fooled by size. Ive got my hyacinth macaws who are quiet as mouses. Lol. I incubated hatched hand fed and extremely happy and paired off. Good luck. Im here if you have any questions. Do not buy a second hand bird. Buy a baby.

I had two blue and gold that were both rescue. They are great fun but great work as well. The issue I have is they are still wild animals and can snap in a split second. Mine were GREAT until just one day one of them decided to "bond" with my ex-wife and would attack me at any time.

I’ve had birds all my life. Adoption is an option but some birds have bad habits such as biting and swearing. They can be corrected but will take some serious training and trust on your part. This process can be painful literally. Birds are a very smart, do your research and be prepared before bringing into your home. My Scarlet will live over 100 years. Ask yourself if your committed. Birds can be challenging but make awesome family members. Definitely rewarding View attachment 166290
Lol. I took in a hyacinth breeder who even after years still shouts to the roof tops clear as the person he learned it from...PICK UP THE F67890G PHONE. Hysterical.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back