Flow in Sump

PSU4ME

BRS Member
I have a fairly big sump with what I feel is a low amount of flow going through it because anymore flow into the tank and I can’t control the noise.

I was thinking a king putting a gyre on the bottom of the sump and let it “sweep” the bottom to keep things moving and suspended.

Anyone do this or know of any hard cons about it?

I've read of people putting small power heads in their sumps for this exact reason.

I have one of these and it moves the water and picks up what gets past the filter socks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210321-084311_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210321-084311_Chrome.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 177
I have a PH in my sump to help with the detritus. I also have alot of rocks in there too so it definitely helps out

Yeah I have 40# of Rick going in the sump this week along with Iive sand and mud from Florida pets (trays) - planning to lift rock off grounds 1” with pvc rings with notches cut. This should keep things flowing and hopefully the detritus moving so the skimmer can grab it. I can vacuum out dead spots on water changes too.

Dont you generally want only 3X tank turn over thru sump anyways? Like you want really slow flow so skimmer has good contact time to bubble the organics out. BRS just did an investigates on this recently. sump is 3X time tank volume per hour.....tank u want somewhere 10X turnover with flow

Dont you generally want only 3X tank turn over thru sump anyways? Like you want really slow flow so skimmer has good contact time to bubble the organics out. BRS just did an investigates on this recently. sump is 3X time tank volume per hour.....tank u want somewhere 10X turnover with flow
Adding the powerhead to the sump won’t change the turnover rate of the sup just like adding more power heads to the tank doesn’t change turnover to the sump. Only thing that would change that is the return pump.

Ps: they shouldn’t call it turnover rate , it should be flow through rate.

That makes alot of sense for sure. I was speaking in his post he mentioned anymore flow thru the sump and he cant handle the noise, makes me think he has return kicked up a bit? So maybe now with added powerhead he can drop return rate back down to 3X?

Correct , then everything in the sump is still getting the 3x flow through rate even though he could have 100x turnover rate in the sump. He’s just moving the water in the sump it’s not actually flowing through the sump any faster

When I first started I got told that the flow through the sump should only be slightly higher than what your skimmer could process.

I have a Hydor Koralia Nano Aquarium Circulation Pump (240, 425, 565 GPH) in my refugium chamber of my sump. There's a bio-brick, a bunch of rubble rock, and 2 pain in the butt clowns in there.

I originally bought it to "churn" the chaeto. The extra movement is good for the detritus as you mentioned and the macro algae I have in there. Just enough to keep things moving a little more, but not overpowering.

FWIW, my 40B sump goes: in from DT through sock to skimmer chamber (25%), over to middle which is refugium (50%), and through bubble trap to return chamber (25%).

My overflow is the issue with the noise, not necessarily the amount of flow going through it...... definitely low flow through the sump.

I’ll likely throw the gyre down there to sweep the floor, I can control the speed of it as well

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back