FYE: Skunk cleaner shrimp close-up pictures

luu78

BRS Member
It has been at least 5-6 years since I last reared marine ornamental shrimps larvae. I’ve gotten to around 20+ days previously and the larvae went through several morphs. I remembered they got much bigger and had very long front claws around the time of die-offs. One of my skunk cleaner trios just released a bunch of larvae Thursday night around 11pm while I happen to notice and so I want to give this a whirl. Not sure how far I will get this time around with rearing these larvae, but I want to try a different approach with larvae energy conservation being my main focus. Some methodologies might even contradict what everyone else is suggesting. Wish me luck! Have a great weekend everyone!!!
0CEC08D2-FDA0-4CD9-8D93-9726F36AABE0.jpeg

951E4A89-CBF0-4C49-AB47-0E8B0C5455CF.jpeg

B4597AE7-7076-45C1-812E-41DD010E2F70.jpeg
FA31CE09-F3F5-4E64-8465-55FC8E0B3689.jpeg

Just found out they just molted and want to share some closeup pics with everyone interested
789B021F-0C42-468B-A42D-7CF0CE820694.jpeg

93B99ABB-CB95-4B02-ADB9-4C077D390CF1.jpeg

9E8DA9E3-33E7-47BD-9E6D-623A6F0F1A25.jpeg

Below pic is unrelated to topic but might be enjoyable for some to see:
BD637EBB-16E9-436E-A202-9E4D80DD47B9.jpeg
Enjoy your evening everyone! Cheers!

Both stories are very cool! There’s a vast amount of microscopic and molecular (sequencing-based) information that could be gathered from hobbyist tanks. What scope are you using? I have a paper Foldscope, which is a small but important step above no microscope. I kind of want to upgrade. Like your model? How do you hook a camera to it?

Both stories are very cool! There’s a vast amount of microscopic and molecular (sequencing-based) information that could be gathered from hobbyist tanks. What scope are you using? I have a paper Foldscope, which is a small but important step above no microscope. I kind of want to upgrade. Like your model? How do you hook a camera to it?
Hi, it’s just a typical school grade microscope I bought used a few years back for $50 and it’s the best thing I’ve ever spent for this hobby. The observations I’ve made with it, is priceless for me. Barely the price of any typical torch coral if you ask me. I dont see any brand on it. Regarding camera, I’m old school and just lean my iphone camera right around the lens and manipulate it until I get a clear visual then hit the button. I tend to get better at it over time although it can get frustrating at times when you’re scrambling to be in focus and the sample swims off view. I sometimes have to add rubbing alcohol to immobilize the sample to view or examine it better. The equipper light works well but I find using a flashlight is more convenient and I can at moment’s notice switch lighting at top to lighting from bottom to look at sample from different perspective. Hope this helps.
image.jpg

All the larvae died in the grow-out container except these two guys which I placed in a small cup with the “bacteria” that was found in the “brown jelly” sample which I left a couple days in another cup and see what come of it after they consume the torch coral, presumably brown jelly...no phytoplankton was added...I’m assuming these two larvae feed on the “bacteria” since its been two days since they have been in the cup with only these bacteria...

AB3DBAB4-6D0D-46B5-BD8B-04BDBAD606FB.jpeg

B52FDD3E-8014-4600-B6DC-AB90557A401C.jpeg

65C05DAC-28A2-4240-95D3-24DB2AACFB4A.jpeg

Last edited:
For the initial grow-out container, it was mainly water quality because the baby brine shrimps were found dead and decomposing and so I wouldn’t be surprised that ammonia played a part in the massive larval die off. But for the two surviving larvae living in a small container from day 7 and on, it could be a combination of all of the above. But, I think mainly because I ran out of the bacteria that I used initially to feed them. These by-product bacteria of the so-called “brown jelly”“ bacteria was swarming the growout cup and was no longer visible around the 10th day. But I couldn’t culture it since I dont have any dying euphyllias to feed the bacteria.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back