Geoff’s 265 build

Bostoncoral

BRS Member
9DCCEF90-CE79-4B0E-824D-EFE4E0B8D75A.jpeg

Very excited to start this build at my new house in Maine. No more renting apartments and moving tanks!! Yay! Lol.

This tank I just picked up is a Marineland 265 gallon 7’ long x 2’ wide and 30” tall. After owning a marineland 300DD (6x3x27”) im really looking forward to the extra length of a 7’ tank and not having such a wide tank as the 300dd. I cant wait to see what kind of aquascape i can do with this long tank.

This tank is only a few years old and aside from a couple scuffs on the silicone, the last owner really took good care of it. No scratches on the glass!!

I bought it as a complete setup. Including lights, rock, pumps, mixing station etc. The lights are reef breeders. It has a full apex setup with a trident. Neptune powerheads. Coral box return pump. Gyres. Dosing pumps and containers. 2x500w finnex heaters. Simplicity skimmer. (I may use my old vertex)

Thanks to @Gene and wife, and Tim for the help lifting. Looking forward to getting it cleaned up and put together. Still debating on whether or not to set it up in the living room (after the new wood floors go in a month) or se it up in the dining room. We will see. Ill keep you posted as things come together.

72EFD512-5129-4FBD-B85B-C39EF11553ED.jpeg
C4DB2780-702A-4337-80E6-3B8B2C920625.jpeg

Here are the two spots Im thinkin work best to put the tank. Curious on your guys thoughts?

The the room with the tree in it is getting new hardwood and new paint and a fancy wallpaper mural, which im kinda worried about messing up the floors and the humidity messing up the wall paper.

The room with the dining table would need upgraded electrical as that plug you see in the photo is the only outlet on that wall.

Both rooms have thir ups and downs and am a bit torn. The original plan when we saw the house was to put it in the living room where that tree is but after spending $4k on high end hardwood im second guessing.

put it where you will enjoy it the most my tank is in the living room. I always notice changes since it is there and spend most of our things me in there. if you build a nice canopy, or it has a canopy, you can cut down most of the glare.

EC8CBDB0-9885-4220-8766-AC5E418AAA9F.jpeg

So the floors are in! The finishers will be here in the next few days to sand and varnish.

I have a temporary tank with the fish and a few corals running in another room near by. There are no door’s between the two areas, and ill do my best to seal off the area with plastic and fans sucking air away from the tank, but should i be concerned about vapors from the varnish? Dont want to lose my fish

Yes I would be. Stuff is poisonous. Run carbon , if you’re using a skimmer feed it from outside air, if you are sealing off the entry ways you could always put a blower through the plastic ( creating negative air in the room where the tank is ). Anything and everything will go in the tank that’s in the air.

Last edited:
Looks nice. I was looking at your stand and because I'm having an issue with my stand I figured I'd mention this. In my Sump area the plywood base is starting to delaminate. In my situation I don't believe there are cross braces underneath it so at some point I have to remove the sump and restructure that area. If I was building a new stand, which I am for a different tank, I would include cross braces underneath the plywood to give added support for the sump.

Looks nice. I was looking at your stand and because I'm having an issue with my stand I figured I'd mention this. In my Sump area the plywood base is starting to delaminate. In my situation I don't believe there are cross braces underneath it so at some point I have to remove the sump and restructure that area. If I was building a new stand, which I am for a different tank, I would include cross braces underneath the plywood to give added support for the sump.
Yes ive seen that happen in other stands and the sumps have burst a seam because of the collapsed plywood. This stand does have 2x4 studs going across

Guys im devastated. We lost all the fish! I had the areas being worked on tarped off and covered the tank in plastic, fan in fish tank room, ran carbon and skimmer air intake running through carbon as well. Yesterday after the first coats were applied, I checked on them before bed and everything was fine. Today they finished the varnish and when I checked the tank they were all dead. There is still fine dust everywhere in the entire house and the fumes are horrendous. Aside from removing the fish from the house entirely, i dont know what i could have done differently!! very sad and discouraging
3FD03065-E6EA-49DD-9017-5C842FC9E22A.jpeg
89DAB197-C0B2-4B85-8594-B84D3BA92D55.jpeg
571DF42E-0CF6-4133-8932-22D8A4C9439D.jpeg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back