Getting the 90 gallon running again

stingythingy45

BRS Member
I've had my fish and corals housed in a 40 breeder now for almost 6 months under a 150 watt halide.
It's time to get the big tank set up and running again. Going to try and consolidate all the component upstairs under the tank or in the tank.
If electricity wasn't so high I would start up the basement sump. Maybe I'll do tht for the remainder of the summer and then run the HOB skimmers.
Anyways, here is the new rock formation with the sand.
Going to try a simple arch.
A reefer friend gave me a lot of dry rock and sand when he got out of the hobby. All new and still in the boxes. I plan on introducing soft corals for this build. I'm going to stay way from and invasive species like Rhodactis mushrooms.

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 139
T5's always look good and have good growth, but I'm still a halide guy

Maybe Ill just run the halides for 3-5 hrs. a day.
They sure help warm the water up in winter time.
Did I say w-i-n-t-e-r-???:eek:

The tank is full now as is most of the 70 gallon sump. I have it circulating and everything seems to be fine.
Had to do a little pvc work as I had a seeping leak at a joint where hot tub flex pipe met regular pvc.
Anybody notice those 3/4 pre-formed traps at H Depot or hardware stores? They work great.(there's one in the picture of the sump return line)
Here's a couple pics of the progress. Now the cycling begins. Going old school (dead shrimp).
Hoping to introduce some live rock as soon as I'm sure there's no flat worms left.(This could take a lot of treatments).

Attachments

• tank 100.jpg
    tank 100.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 112
  • tank 101.jpg
    tank 101.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 111
Didn't you have a 90 before? What happened to it?

It's the same one, it was over run with flat worms,rhodactis mushrooms and nepthea.
I just wanted to start new with corals that have slow growth, but are very colorful.
Besides the sand bed was like 7 years old and I wanted to change it out for something new.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back