Hard clams

kgstei

CONNECTICUT
So I watched Reef bum last night and Paul B was talking about feeding clams to his tank. I was wondering if you could buy clams at the fish market keep them in your sump and then let one or two walk The Green Mile once a week.

I would worry about the fact local clams wouldn’t be found in your normal aquarium reef environment, would it over feed on beneficial elements? Maybe thrive to much and out compete other shellfish?

Supermarket littlenecks often come from farms in Florida. I can’t say I haven’t been curious at maybe buying a bag and letting them acclimate in a qt tank for a month or so to catch die off, then adding them to the sump as biofilter/feeder material.

@PaulB is great and inspired me to feed clams (and white worms and baby brine) to my tank. I buy clams in bulk from Costco. I cut them in half w/ a big butcher knife, then freeze the halves - and feed a half clam 2-3 times per week. A $20 bag lasts a few months, fishies go nuts...

@PaulB is great and inspired me to feed clams (and white worms and baby brine) to my tank. I buy clams in bulk from Costco. I cut them in half w/ a big butcher knife, then freeze the halves - and feed a half clam 2-3 times per week. A $20 bag lasts a few months, fishies go nuts...
That seems like a good way to go.

I like feeding clams as well but only after frozen. Not worth the risk. Wrasses absolutely love them

If you don't want to bother with shucking the clams you can purchase clam meat in a small tub in the seafood section super cheap (refrigerated). I buy one every few months and distribute into a few ziploc bags then freeze them down. Nearly all fish will eat them if it's cut up small enough.

If you don't want to bother with shucking the clams you can purchase clam meat in a small tub in the seafood section super cheap (refrigerated). I buy one every few months and distribute into a few ziploc bags then freeze them down. Nearly all fish will eat them if it's cut up small enough.
Easy and cheap, you're speaking to me!

While you are at it, crab meat in the same section of the grocery is a good deal. I also feed scallops, but they are very pricey these days. Shrimp is a pretty good bargain as well. Shrimp gets freezer burn pretty easy though. When I freeze shrimp I try to minimize the surface area. I cut the shrimp into smaller pieces, mush them together a bit then pack them into a small ziploc bag while trying to force all the air out of the bag.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back