Heater BROKE inside my 18 gl container of fresh salted RO/DI

LisaJulia65

BRS Member
All that money and time literally down the drain =(. Just a PSA to be careful out there and have EXTRA on hand for when i you need to do a water change. I am SO GLAD that it didn't decide to break in my DISPLAY tank!!!!! I have to google what all the black stuff is inside the heater (it almost looks like carbon) and hopefully it won't harm the septic system as i need to dump all the BEAUTIFUL PRISTINE WATER (GRRRRRR) down the drain. So not happy right now but it could have been way worse!

Every equipment has it's so called end of life day in this hobby. So the fact that your heater happened in the fresh salted RO/DI container was a good thing then
Totally agree. that happened in the container. Because if it happened inside the display could probably kill everything.

I had a mini Tetra heater that exploded in a 5 gallon glass vase where I was rearing shrimp larvae and causes a big mess in my living room a few years ago with many black sediments/dust. Never buy that crap again!

I had a mini Tetra heater that exploded in a 5 gallon glass vase where I was rearing shrimp larvae and causes a big mess in my living room a few years ago with many black sediments/dust. Never buy that crap again!
I totally agree with you. sometimes it’s better that we spend a little bit more money. On equipment and read reviews about the equipment before buying something that is cheap on price. but in the long run. we have no idea if it’s gonna last or break

Do you put all your waste saltwater into the septic? Just curious as were on septic too and I pump it all out into the woods. Always worried it would mess up the septic.

Do you put all your waste saltwater into the septic? Just curious as were on septic too and I pump it all out into the woods. Always worried it would mess up the septic.
I flush it down the toilet it doesn’t cause any damage because it’s only water and salt specially if we do a water change

I flush it down the toilet it doesn’t cause any damage because it’s only water and salt specially if we do a water change
I have always heard opposing opinions saying its fine and saying its bad. While I think it is fine based on the fact that many like myself on well water have brine tanks for their water softeners that backwash regularly into their septic tanks I still have not pumped saltwater into my septic and it would really make it a lot easier.

Do not put large amount of saltwater in private septic tank if the tank is made out of concrete. Once a while is fine but doing it over the years will destroy the septic tank.

Do not put large amount of saltwater in private septic tank if the tank is made out of concrete. Once a while is fine but doing it over the years will destroy the septic tank.
So what's your thoughts on the brine tank for my softener that would be at a higher salt concentration and probably dumps a few hundred gallons of backwash water into the septic weekly. Wouldnt that be the same issue? This is why I have always wondered if it would be a problem.

It can be an issue
And now that I think about it, my brine tank waste line dumps into the same outdoor drain I use for my tank that dumps into the woods. It doesnt go into my septic. I will keep with the same I have been doing and dump my saltwater in the woods.

I’m in a commercial building so the septic tank is huge the size of a pool. I know it is because I maintain it. Because where I live I also work as a maintenance supervisor

we are on Cape so we have septic but not a well. I am debating for water changes if i should keep dumping down the drain or not. I've got 2 tanks up now...one is 29gl and one is 72. If we dump into the ground directly it will be a challenge b/c i don't want it killing any plants/fauna...

Back