HELP! Fish stuck

MGolder

Non-member
So, I have an IM 20 and last night my yasha goby (as best as I can tell) swam through the grates into the rear chamber, jumped out of that chamber and into the chamber where the pump is located. After searching for him all day I noticed him swimming in the rear chamber. The problem is there is blank space on the underside of the chambers adjacent to the chamber where the pump is. Because the width of the rear chambers is only about three inches it is impossible to get anything down and under the adjacent chambers. The second the yasha is spooked he hides out under the chambers and I am at a loss as to how to get him out. Hopefully before he figures out how to escape again! Any ideas or thoughts or anything is much appreciated!

Suck it out with a hose.
Yep I’ve had my black ray goby do the same thing in my old fluval evo. Start suction on your hose, hold your thumb over the out-of-water end, and slowly creep up to the gobies tail or head. And take your thumb off. May take a few tries. But should work.

I think blocking off the underside area is an excellent idea. If I can't get that blocked off while he is in the middle I think it's pretty much hopeless. I'll probably stop by the store after work and see if I can find something similar to a cutting. Now I just have to figure out how to got him back out from underneath those sections.

Yep I’ve had my black ray goby do the same thing in my old fluval evo. Start suction on your hose, hold your thumb over the out-of-water end, and slowly creep up to the gobies tail or head. And take your thumb off. May take a few tries. But should work.
Any suggestions on type of hose? My water changing hose doesn't seem large enough.v

Take the filter sock and lay down on other side of tank in that hidden space. When placing sock make sure it’s open when pushing in that space. Use net on other side or turkey baster to make the goby go to other side of aio. When goby goes into sock pull out, kinda like a net and capturing fish. Kinda a PITA. Removing everything is key, so you can see what’s going on back there.

My clownfish have jumped into the back pump chamber multiple times. I have used my hand to get under the fish and guide it toward the surface then pull it out. Good luck

Take the filter sock and lay down on other side of tank in that hidden space. When placing sock make sure it’s open when pushing in that space. Use net on other side or turkey baster to make the goby go to other side of aio. When goby goes into sock pull out, kinda like a net and capturing fish. Kinda a PITA. Removing everything is key, so you can see what’s going on back there.
I am definitely going to have to try this. This is pretty genius. I tried to scare him out yesterday with no success but did not think of using a turkey baster.

I've done the suction technique on accident, clownfish got curious and was suddenly in the bucket. Works Well.

I am definitely going to have to try this. This is pretty genius. I tried to scare him out yesterday with no success but did not think of using a turkey baster.
You’ll get him. I owned the same tank if you need any upgrades I have everything up for sale here. You can find on new posts or market place. I didn’t skimp.
But getting back to your problem. This will happen again unless you cover those slots with filter floss or netting.
Best of luck!

My clownfish have jumped into the back pump chamber multiple times. I have used my hand to get under the fish and guide it toward the surface then pull it out. Good luck

You’ll get him. I owned the same tank if you need any upgrades I have everything up for sale here. You can find on new posts or market place. I didn’t skimp.
But getting back to your problem. This will happen again unless you cover those slots with filter floss or netting.
Best of luck!
Best of luck!
Netting is genius! It's so funny how you never think about something until someone tells you. Sadly this is the secret be time. The first one made it into the back and onto the railing of the lid. Thankfully this little guy got of the railing and back into the water. I have tried filter floss but with that much of it it always causes the pump to push water out of the back chamber faster than the chamber fills. So I am very greatful for the netting suggestion. Any tips on how to secure it?

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the amazing advice! I had all three techniques prepped and ready to go. Started with the filter sock in the opposing crevice and used the turkey baster to get him out. He swam right to the surface of the water and I was able to scoop him out with my had. It was almost like he wanted to be rescued. It was comically easy after last night's fiasco. Anyway I'm very greatful to everyone and extremely happy he didn't find out how to escape from the makeshift lid that was over the rear chamber while I was at work! Thanks again!!

Attachments

• 16231945340963392695.jpg
    16231945340963392695.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 183
Best of luck!
Also, I will definitely check out what you have for sale!

Netting is genius! It's so funny how you never think about something until someone tells you. Sadly this is the secret be time. The first one made it into the back and onto the railing of the lid. Thankfully this little guy got of the railing and back into the water. I have tried filter floss but with that much of it it always causes the pump to push water out of the back chamber faster than the chamber fills. So I am very greatful for the netting suggestion. Any tips on how to secure it?
You could zip tie some larger screen on filtration slots. Be careful because fine mesh will clog over time, but don’t go to large that fish gets stuck.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back