Help with overflow noise

chadfish

BRS Member
I just re-plumbed my tank to accommodate an Eshopps Eclipse M overflow. This worked great to get the air out of the downcomer pipe and now my sump isn’t all bubbling like a Fresca anymore. However the wet-side (inside) overflow box is noisy as sh*t. I’m devastated because it took me 8 hours to install everything with new PVC and a new gate valve etc etc

Can anyone impart some wisdom on me? What can I do other than filling it with filter floss- which I don’t want to do because of overflow and maintenance reasons. (Although it works quite nicely)

Any help is appreciated

If you can increase the flow of your return pump or close the gate valve to raise the water level.
The gate valve is set with the water line above the bulkhead outlet and below the overflow pipe. The back side is quiet, but the inside box is still very sloshy.

It’s a bad design, the water lvl should go higher but the back box is lower than the internal weir. If that back box was a inch taller i could make my eclipse overflow dead quiet but as it sits , either the overflow is quiet and the emergency is dripping/flowing water or i make the emergency not drain and have noise in my overflow. I might attempt to make a taller box in the back to fix this issue but I really don’t think I should have to

Thanks for your candor and not some wild goose chase advice on how to fix it. I’m going to try some very open foam - like 10 ppi if I can find some. My filter floss works great, but it also poses an overflow risk.

Any advice on who makes a good overflow that’s quiet? I have no problem returning this one.

It’s a bad design, the water lvl should go higher but the back box is lower than the internal weir. If that back box was a inch taller i could make my eclipse overflow dead quiet but as it sits , either the overflow is quiet and the emergency is dripping/flowing water or i make the emergency not drain and have noise in my overflow. I might attempt to make a taller box in the back to fix this issue but I really don’t think I should have to
Here’s my specific issue. I sent this to the company and they said just flood it more, which makes no sense - any more level and the water hits the emergency overflow pipe and then starts oscillating.

crazy…

So I actually cut a bigger 1” pipe to go higher than the red one. I’m literally 1/8 from overflowing the back compartment

So I actually cut a bigger 1” pipe to go higher than the red one. I’m literally 1/8 from overflowing the back compartment
Unfortunately this would be the only way to quiet it down other than stuffing it with floss which is a disaster waiting to happen. You need to raise the outside part as much as possible so that the inside part can go higher. Its a flawed design.
I went with Modular Marine for my overflow. You might be stuck with Eshopps if the holes don't match with any other brand of overflow.

Unfortunately this would be the only way to quiet it down other than stuffing it with floss which is a disaster waiting to happen. You need to raise the outside part as much as possible so that the inside part can go higher. Its a flawed design.
I went with Modular Marine for my overflow. You might be stuck with Eshopps if the holes don't match with any other brand of overflow.
The MM is quiet?

Just looked it up.. unfortunately I have a single 1.25” bulkhead drilled.

I’ll keep looking

I get the same issue if i open up the valve to much on the main drain causing water to slosh into the back chamber of the overflow. I run it so a small amount of water runs down the emergency drain and its pretty silent when running like this.

Just looked it up.. unfortunately I have a single 1.25” bulkhead drilled.

I’ll keep looking
He can customize the hole size. I dont know if he can do the same for the hole locations. It is dead quiet. Once you tweak it with your return pump and the gate valve. It has been set it an forget it for 2 years now.

I know this statement doesn't fix it but the sound will dissipate with time. Give it a couple weeks, you won't even hear the water sound anymore.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back