Help with return jet leak

LaneBrain

BRS Member
Hi Everyone,
I got my 75G tank up and running today, but realized my return jet is leaking (eshopps barbed return jet). I had a LFS get all the plumbing parts for me, so I’m assuming the return jet is the right size for the hose (3/4”). Im using zip ties as hose clamps currently, because I forgot real hose clamps existed.
I don’t want to take any chances with leaks, so I need solutions.
My current thoughts:
1) Get hose clamps (will do this anyway)
2) Get better tubing (braided vinyl rather than the hard black stuff I currently have)
3) et a different return jet (cpr vs eshopps, although both have some sketchy reviews)

*pics for reference*

thanks for your help

Attachments

• B6EEE48E-2AD9-4914-9C6E-3EF56D720F23.jpeg
    B6EEE48E-2AD9-4914-9C6E-3EF56D720F23.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 137
  • FB2AD931-807D-46CC-BAE5-B5EDBF7EB784.jpeg
    FB2AD931-807D-46CC-BAE5-B5EDBF7EB784.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 135
You have a overflow box. There should be 2 holes one for the drain line and one for the return line. The drain would be the 1 inch hole and the return is usually the 3/4 inch hole. This will make your life way easier and won't have the ugly thing going up and over the back of the tank.

Why not hard plumb your return line?
The tank is drilled in the bottom. My LFS said one was for the drain, the other was the emergency drain, and I could just go over the back for the return. (First sump and reef newbie, so I nodded and said ok)

at this point, I don’t want to drain the tank, take out rock, and drill another hole, so I guess hard plumbing over the top would be best, right?

The tank is drilled in the bottom. My LFS said one was for the drain, the other was the emergency drain, and I could just go over the back for the return. (First sump and reef newbie, so I nodded and said ok)

at this point, I don’t want to drain the tank, take out rock, and drill another hole, so I guess hard plumbing over the top would be best, right?
You don't have to do any of that. This is how it could be setup or you can have just one return jet.

20210824_120056.jpg

20210824_120101.jpg

Last edited:
All you would need is a few other plumbing parts with loc line attachments and you would have it flowing today

Is the emergency drain necessary? I definitely want the tank to be safe from overflow, but also don’t want a constant slow leak.

I don't use one. As long as you check on it regularly you should be fine. With a 1inch drain it will be fairly hard to clog it unless a giant turbo snail goes into it. It's really up to you on how you want it setup as. But personally I would run it like how I have been saying

Is the emergency drain necessary? I definitely want the tank to be safe from overflow, but also don’t want a constant slow leak.
There are a few standpipe methods that have been in use in the hobby.

durso standpipe (1 drain hole) this is a method that uses control of the airflow to match the siphon needed. It’s been around for a while I used one (and joker does too).

herbie overflow ( 2 drain holes) uses a gate valve to control the bulk of the water and an emergency overflow to either trickle or when perfectly set just be used when something impedes the main drain

bean-animal (3 holes) oversimplified it’s the combination of the previous two.

then regardless of the drain configuration most will have a return.

I currently have a herbie overflow. The main drain has a filter, so maybe I’ll just make the emergency a return.
@Joker , is your set up quiet? If I’m correct, one advantage of the Herbie overflow is that it is a quieter set up. If I get rid of the emergency overflow, will it still be as quiet?

For the durso, the “emergency” part is usually done with the level of the air source being at the overflow level.

thus when the air intake comes in contact with the water, the drain goes full siphon and you’re going to hear it.

Tuning the airflow can take some time to get it quiet, though if you’re not sensitive to the airflow noise it can be much easier.

For the record it’s not bulletproof, and that’s why it’s been improved upon to be more silent, easier to tune, and safer.

i ran one for 8 years. In your situation I would again

I currently have a herbie overflow. The main drain has a filter, so maybe I’ll just make the emergency a return.
@Joker , is your set up quiet? If I’m correct, one advantage of the Herbie overflow is that it is a quieter set up. If I get rid of the emergency overflow, will it still be as quiet?
If it wasn't for my stand having no doors I wouldn't hear a thing. Anyone that has come to my house can attest to that. I can only hear the trickle coming from inside my sump

Thanks for your help everyone.
I decided I’m gonna change to a Durso standpipe and a plumbed return (in place of the emergency over flow.
unfortunately, I had already glued all my plumbing (pipes, bulkheads, and gate valve) so I need to get all that stuff but then I’ll be good to go!
thanks for everything!

Back