Help!!!

jdivz87

Formerly Known as diaz.jael
My overflow was mounted significantly lower than it should. Should I bulkhead and plug it and position overflow and drill on other side or is there another solution? Also does anyone know where I can find a black bulkhead 1.5 plug
Please someone help!
4A970940-0DBF-4593-80CE-3A867A495D48.jpeg

IMO…I don’t think there’s a solution for that unless you re-drill elsewhere but that’s why you measure plenty of times prior to drilling chief. I ended up doing my 50g lowboy fir the first time and my ocd made me check it all before drilling. Came out just under the inner lip of the tank and cleared the back with no issue.
Just silicone the holes with glass or plexi and redo again in another area is your only option. Or drill elsewhere on the tank and keep the resealed area to the back so you done see it.
Good luck

Can you turn that to a return line and remount the overflow elsewhere (making sure your sump has adequate capacity to hold any siphoned return water till siphone breaks)?

If the hole in the overflow box is in the middle, you may be able to get a new box and drill it more towards the bottom which when aligning with the existing glass hole will raise the overflow box teeth a bit.

As is it will still be functional, the waterline will just be below the rim. Plugging would probably be my least preferred option.

I'm a little confused. If the return is set up properly, shouldn't the water level in the tank drain to the level of the overflow? What happens if you cut back the flow rate in your return?

IMO…I don’t think there’s a solution for that unless you re-drill elsewhere but that’s why you measure plenty of times prior to drilling chief. I ended up doing my 50g lowboy fir the first time and my ocd made me check it all before drilling. Came out just under the inner lip of the tank and cleared the back with no issue.
Just silicone the holes with glass or plexi and redo again in another area is your only option. Or drill elsewhere on the tank and keep the resealed area to the back so you done see it.
Good luck
So that’s me I’m OCD about it all BUT I had my boy do it and that’s what happen lol. I’ll be buying a new tank again and re drilling myself lol

create an overflow box to overlay the existing to raise the water level. bond it to the existing. make the teeth above the top edge but have the teeth wrap 3 sides and the top of the new box overlay should be to the bottom edge of the tank rim. Im sure someone could 3d print this for you for a small price and you just glue on. Otherwise youll need to deal with the lower water level.

it appears to me the simplest and best solution is to cut a black square of acrylic to fit the back of the box. then mount it to the back of the box using acrylic glue, and then redrill the hole in the box.

Last edited:
1 Make a taller over flow box . 2 use the holes as a closed loop and move the box. 3 you could make a piece to fit the outside of the box that covers the slits then the picture can adjust the hight of the water like a faceplate that slides up and down.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back