Jokers 75g upgrade build

Looking back at your original schematic I'm confused. Are you using a center vertical on the front and the back of the stand, or only one?

In the 3d rendering there is only one center brace in the front. But the stand I got has 2 braces one in the front and one in the back. I'll have to take a pic. I just want to remove the back brace

This is the stand
20211021_212713.jpg

I would add 2x4s where there is red lines and remove what is marked in yellow
20211021_212911.jpg

Hmmm that's already a pretty narrow center board. I see why you don't want to go more narrow. Honestly I wouldn't feel comfortable modifying as you propose with the two side vertical posts.

What about building a sump tank that fits the space? It's a sump, it doesn't have to look beautiful. You could certainly deconstruct the 40b and make it two inches narrower. I am not super jazzed about cutting glass (but people do it!). You could probably pay a glass shop to cut it down for you. You could use the trim pieces to make a eurobrace.

Alternatively acrylic diy isn't so bad.

Hmmm that's already a pretty narrow center board. I see why you don't want to go more narrow. Honestly I wouldn't feel comfortable modifying as you propose with the two side vertical posts.

What about building a sump tank that fits the space? It's a sump, it doesn't have to look beautiful. You could certainly deconstruct the 40b and make it two inches narrower. I am not super jazzed about cutting glass (but people do it!). You could probably pay a glass shop to cut it down for you. You could use the trim pieces to make a eurobrace.

Alternatively acrylic diy isn't so bad.
I should add, that me not feeling comfortable doing it should carry no weight at all. I'm not an engineer or a carpenter.

I should add, that me not feeling comfortable doing it should carry no weight at all. I'm not an engineer or a carpenter.
I’ve built a sump before. Not too hard to install baffles in a glass tank using silicone. Just need a saw to cut the plexiglass. Much cheaper too

I’ve built a sump before. Not too hard to install baffles in a glass tank using silicone. Just need a saw to cut the plexiglass. Much cheaper too
Oh I have built several tanks and stands, but I have always opted to overbuild rather than trust math to tell me how sturdy it needs to be.

Plexiglass is a pretty expensive material at the thickness he will need to construct the whole sump. The glass tank he currently has won't fit. I think the cheapest option here is to take apart the 40 breeder and use the front and back as is, then ask a glass shop to cut two inches off of the long side of the bottom panel and the side panels. Then reassemble using the strips of left over glass as eurobrace.

Oh I have built several tanks and stands, but I have always opted to overbuild rather than trust math to tell me how sturdy it needs to be.

Plexiglass is a pretty expensive material at the thickness he will need to construct the whole sump. The glass tank he currently has won't fit. I think the cheapest option here is to take apart the 40 breeder and use the front and back as is, then ask a glass shop to cut two inches off of the long side of the bottom panel and the side panels. Then reassemble using the strips of left over glass as eurobrace.
Alternatively, a 20 long should cost $20 during a dollars per gallon sale!

Update for everyone. I had my stepson father come over and help with the stand. He isnq carpenter by trade and he told me where to reinforce. Here's what I did

20211022_141347.jpg

Sense reinforcing I have dry fit some of the plumbing

20211025_001742.jpg

I also added some foam under the main tank

20211025_132640.jpg

Next project is to glue some of the plumbing and come up with a rock scape.

I could be wrong, but pretty sure foam is only supposed to go under tanks without trim on them.

I believe tank manufacturers say not to use them, but could be wrong. I'd look that up before listening to a carpenter.

Ok so with in the first few min of reading both r2r and reefcentral everyone says there is no need for it. I will be pulling the foam out. Thank you Paul

Here's a pic of the havoc that happened the last few days lol.

20211028_162140.jpg

Then a pic of it slowly filling up.

20211029_010811.jpg

Still not finished tweaking everything and still working on the rock scape. Can't decide on how to do it.

Tank is filled and running smoothly. But definitely had a hiccup that I didn't see coming. While I was making water to get the tank running I had my heaters split up one in the frag tank and one in the 75g. Well the one in the frag tank was malfunctioning and was stuck on (of course). I didn't know this as it's usually plugged into my apex and would turn on and on that way. Needless to say my frag tank Temps jumped to 84 degrees and was that way over night without me knowing. I had a bunch of coral from my cube in there too and now they are toast. It sucks but what can I do. End rant lol. Here's a few pics of my rock scape and sump area.

20211031_161807.jpg
20211031_162032.jpg
20211031_162038.jpg
20211031_233841.jpg

Man the reefing gods have frowned upon me sense this upgrade. First I lost basically all my high end corals, lost 90% of my frag tank, today my doser decided to not connect to the internet, and I also spotted Dino showing up. Wtf why me I can't seem to catch a break. After all the money just spent upgrading I'm thinking of quitting.

Man the reefing gods have frowned upon me sense this upgrade. First I lost basically all my high end corals, lost 90% of my frag tank, today my doser decided to not connect to the internet, and I also spotted Dino showing up. Wtf why me I can't seem to catch a break. After all the money just spent upgrading I'm thinking of quitting.
Ugh. I'm sorry to hear about your tank. Hang in there!

Sorry to hear that. Things will turn around. I thought my rainbow milli was dead, but little by little, the color is showing up again. If you look for it, you can find the upside.
Good luck

Back