lanthanum kill all my tangs

eddie pr

Non-member
so today i decide to use lanthanum chloride to reduce phosphates on my reef 55gallon so i used as recomended dose 5ml for every 20 gallons .. in one hour after my yellow tang was dead as well as my solar wrasse .. my blue hippo tanh is very hurt but still alive (my water never get cloudy because the lanthanum)

man thats rough , how did you use it ? From what I understand it needs to be run through a 1 micron sock . and over carbon I think . Im sure someone else will chime in and clear it up . I don't use it because of the dangers it poses . for that matter all I really do is run a skimmer and water changes weekly

well my blue hippo tang is gone as well .. my clown fish ,bangay cardenal ,royal gramma ,and grrnn chromis looks ok .. my two cleaner shrimp and electric fire scalop .. as well as the corals snails and hermit crab are also ok .. hope those tangs and the solar wrasse is the only thing that was gone die .. .. well i didnt use any filter bag just my rwgular .. i put 15ml in a bottle and add ro water to driped on the over flow so it can presipitate and get on my floss filter bag and the skimmer that is right there thake care of the presipitate ( my gees .it didnt work as planed )
i do run skimmer 24,7 a reef dinamyc ins80 .. and i do water change every week a 10 to 15 gallons .. but for some reson my rock some times get that little green color .. i have no hair algae or cyano but dont like thise green spots on the rock

Dude that really sucks, I'm sorry about your losses.

How old is your tank? Green diatoms are pretty normal as unavoidable in a young tank. Did you try GFO first? I've never even heard of this chemical until now.

I'm glad everything else is doing ok!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

yea i use gfo and my phosphate level cant bring it lower than 0.06 ppm .. my tank is about 1year and 5 months .. and i realy didnt had to do this is just some times we try to cros the thin line to do some thing better an then you realise that was bad idea .. i realy take care of my tank ... as i dont use filter sock . i use a home made sock with floss pads that i change every tree days .. i do 20 to 30% water change every week. i take doun all my pumps once a month (some in the morning .and some in the afternon ) as skimmr wave makers media reactor and my nitrates i always got to keep it at 0.50 ppm (red sea algae control test kit ) .. so i ges phosphate 0.06 was do to have a yellow tang 4" .. and a blue hippo tang 3"" on a 55 gallon tank (so little space for big bioload fishes) so i try to go the easy way and this happen .. so i have to asum the responsability .because i was the one that dose my tank with launthanum chloride ...

Those numbers aren't bad at all. In fact ideal. I have to add nitrates and feed a ton just to get that. Sorry for the loss. But lessons in this hobby can be harsh and expensive. Best to leave well enough alone.

Phosphate at 0.06 is perfectly fine.
The phosphate myst had been debunked two years ago on MACNA.
Don't waste your money IMO.

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back