Led lights

bettez8789

BRS Member
Hello everyone I’m using pop bloom rs90s on my 180 and was wondering if anyone else use them as well if so what settings do you use and got any good pics of the tank lit up thanks

It definitely looks like they should be good enough to grow most corals, but I haven't seen any PAR or spectrum graphs. How many do you have on your tank, can you post a screenshot of your settings?

It definitely looks like they should be good enough to grow most corals, but I haven't seen any PAR or spectrum graphs. How many do you have on your tank, can you post a screenshot of your settings?
I have two on my 5 foot 180 center over flow

I have two on my 5 foot 180 center over flow
I set up my own program on it don’t really know what lights to do what there’s 4 lights and not sure what one is for growing

What are the dimensions, 60x24x29"? It seems like they don't have a ton of power, but if you're keeping easier corals they should be fine. At 8" off the water with all channels at 100%, they'll cover a 24x24" area, so you'll have really low par on the sand bed and edges of the tank and definitely some dead spots, but you can borrow the club par meter to measure different areas in the tank so you can get a better idea of what corals can go where.

.jpg

This is from their amazon page, so in practice most of these numbers will be a bit lower. If it were my tank, I would keep the two blue channels (channels 3 and 4?) around 90% for about 8 or 9 hours with about an hour ramp up/down on either end. Then I would add in the white (channel 1?), I like my tanks whiter than most during a part of the day, so I would shoot for somewhere between 40-60% for 3 or 4 hours with a more gradual ramp on both ends. Having a PAR meter will give you a much better idea of what % you'll need.

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion, and I threw this together in 20 mins based off of a quick search. I didn't see much info about the actual LEDs they're using, and I didn't come across any independent reviews on PAR/spectrum.

The most important thing to remember regarding lighting is to be patient. Corals will take some time to adapt to a new spectrum or intensity, so you want to adjust your lights, wait a few weeks, and see how things respond. Lighting is best when you just set it and forget it.

What are the dimensions, 60x24x29"? It seems like they don't have a ton of power, but if you're keeping easier corals they should be fine. At 8" off the water with all channels at 100%, they'll cover a 24x24" area, so you'll have really low par on the sand bed and edges of the tank and definitely some dead spots, but you can borrow the club par meter to measure different areas in the tank so you can get a better idea of what corals can go where.

View attachment 194722

This is from their amazon page, so in practice most of these numbers will be a bit lower. If it were my tank, I would keep the two blue channels (channels 3 and 4?) around 90% for about 8 or 9 hours with about an hour ramp up/down on either end. Then I would add in the white (channel 1?), I like my tanks whiter than most during a part of the day, so I would shoot for somewhere between 40-60% for 3 or 4 hours with a more gradual ramp on both ends. Having a PAR meter will give you a much better idea of what % you'll need.

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion, and I threw this together in 20 mins based off of a quick search. I didn't see much info about the actual LEDs they're using, and I didn't come across any independent reviews on PAR/spectrum.

The most important thing to remember regarding lighting is to be patient. Corals will take some time to adapt to a new spectrum or intensity, so you want to adjust your lights, wait a few weeks, and see how things respond. Lighting is best when you just set it and forget it.
I thank you a lot for taking your time and looking this all up for me I’m going to program that tomorrow and set it and for get it thanks again

You can toss an AI blade as supplemental light now tho......Also you can get the UV colored one to get that look you are after

View attachment 194722

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 65
@bettez8789 those LEDS, do not have much UV in them. Which maybe is making them look over bright to the eye. Since its a much more lighter blue color. As I mentioned above you can easily and somewhat cheaply grab maybe even ali express bars for supplemental UV, or AI blades for the UV.

@bettez8789 those LEDS, do not have much UV in them. Which maybe is making them look over bright to the eye. Since its a much more lighter blue color. As I mentioned above you can easily and somewhat cheaply grab maybe even ali express bars for supplemental UV, or AI blades for the UV.
They do look bright to the eye sometimes feels hurtful does that mean coral has to be higher in the tank?

They do look bright to the eye sometimes feels hurtful does that mean coral has to be higher in the tank?
Not necessarily, UV is important for coral fluorescence and photosynthesis. If you put a coral too high in the tank, even when there’s not much UV spectrum, it can still bleach. That’s why it’s important to get some par reading in the tank. You just won’t get the best color/pop with these lights

Not necessarily, UV is important for coral fluorescence and photosynthesis. If you put a coral too high in the tank, even when there’s not much UV spectrum, it can still bleach. That’s why it’s important to get some par reading in the tank. You just won’t get the best color/pop with these lights
All I have in my tank is cabbage toad stool

This is what I got

Attachments

• IMG_2062.jpeg
    IMG_2062.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2059.jpeg
    IMG_2059.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2060.jpeg
    IMG_2060.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2058.jpeg
    IMG_2058.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2057.jpeg
    IMG_2057.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2056.jpeg
    IMG_2056.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2061.jpeg
    IMG_2061.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 52
>UV is important for coral fluorescence and photosynthesis<

Not so sure about that. For photosynthesis?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back