Looking to upgrade from black box LEDs

Gsxkid

BRS Member
What would be my my best approach to cover 8 feet of tank? I have a canopy and would prefer to keep it. What could I use to cover the tank that wouldn’t be super expensive but be an improvement over the knock off leds. The black boxes have treated me well but I’m to the point where I want to improve.

What types of coral are you lighting or want to light? What's super expensive? I say it's kind of tough with an 8 footer unless breaking the bank.

Best bang for your buck I would say likely is gonna be reefbreeders photon v2+. I’ve had quite a few different brands, but settled on radions as my personal favorite(would be an expensive route to go). I did have photon v2s before and had minimal complaint and people have had great success with them of which I have too.

The least expensive premium led will be 2x 43 inch Reefbreeders photon v2+ at $699.95 each with mounting hardware included. Total is about ~$1400

Or 4x AI Hydra64HD ($630 each) with 4 mounting arms ($68.25 each) at ~$2793

or 4x Radion G5 XR30 ($840 each) with 4 arms ($104 each) at $3776

What types of coral are you lighting or want to light? What's super expensive? I say it's kind of tough with an 8 footer unless breaking the bank.
What types of coral are you lighting or want to light? What's super expensive? I say it's kind of tough with an 8 footer unless breaking the ba
Mostly zoas and palys . I’m assuming I need 4 of whatever light I go with so 2000 is a lot on lights to me.

For zoos and palys I would grab 2 of these and run the LEDs you have with them

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210420-232057.png
    Screenshot_20210420-232057.png
    160 KB · Views: 196
I use ati t5 on a shallow reef tank and I’m getting plenty of light. Growing mostly sps and some lps in that tank.

Mostly zoas and palys . I’m assuming I need 4 of whatever light I go with so 2000 is a lot on lights to me.
I don't think you need to spend that much on lights for zoas and palys.. If you plan on keeping LPS and SPS down the road then you would need better lighting.

Hmm I don’t know exact. Can measure for you once home. But it’s as high as the legs that come with the light can go.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back