Mike's 270-gallon custom build

Couldn't find a sump on the forums that would fit my skimmer (Reef Octopus 250) and wanted to continue to use it as it has been a great skimmer so bought this. Skimmer will fit in either first section (comfortably) or second secton with about an inch of room to spare.

Very happy with build quality and packaging was great.

It is 36" x 18". All chambers have adjustable height baffles so can be set up with any configuration desired.

bashsea unboxing.jpg

bashsea sump.jpg

The return section will be drilled for a couple bulkheads and just drain into the Rubbermaid stock tank. This way no equipment will be interrupted during water changes when pumping water out of stock tank and refilling it.

Couldn't find a sump on the forums that would fit my skimmer (Reef Octopus 250) and wanted to continue to use it as it has been a great skimmer so bought this. Skimmer will fit in either first section (comfortably) or second secton with about an inch of room to spare.

Very happy with build quality and packaging was great.

It is 36" x 18". All chambers have adjustable height baffles so can be set up with any configuration desired.

View attachment 170920
View attachment 170921

The return section will be drilled for a couple bulkheads and just drain into the Rubbermaid stock tank. This way no equipment will be interrupted during water changes when pumping water out of stock tank and refilling it.
Bashsea does make nice products. Can't wait to see corals in that tank.

Bashsea does make nice products. Can't wait to see corals in that tank.
Me too, Have a bunch of the remaining plumbing parts coming tomorrow so will do some work on that as far as the basement portion goes.

I am really just procrastinating getting the rockwork all glued together. Have a bit of foundation rock sitting in my cart at BRS at the moment. I have had the potential rock scape set up for weeks in the basement and just cant comit to cementing it all together. I want to get that cycling though and have all the saltwater made at this point to do so.

Take you time and enjoy the work. Nice sump
This will definitely be the slowest tank set up I have ever done. Hopefully plan to have the tank set up and fish in it around the May or June timeframe.the sooner I can get the rock cycling the better thoigh!

Nice! we did one of those a couple years ago too!!View attachment 170138
Beautiful pool, I wish I had such a beautiful pool in my backyard. We can’t even have a koi pond due to we are next to the town forest and the National park, we have so many wild animals that will eat the koi or swim in the pond.

Beautiful pool, I wish I had such a beautiful pool in my backyard. We can’t even have a koi pond due to we are next to the town forest and the National park, we have so many wild animals that will eat the koi or swim in the pond.
We deal with that a bit too. Edge of the pool is about 100' away from lots of wetlands. We had to put a frog saver float in otherwise would end up with a couple frogs in the pool everyday. Get the occasional turle and snake in there. Lots of wildlife. Fence keeps all the bigger stuff out.

This is going to be the equipment panel under the stand. The odd shaped openning is to fish through my four vortech controllers. The hole will be covered by a power strip only leaving a small hole where the wires will pass through.

This will house my APEX energy bar, my 6 power supplys for the reef breeders, my four vortech controllers and their four power supplys, a power strip and a PM2 expansion box for temp and pH in the display.

Just a board with lots of holes in it right now

equipment panel.jpg

Little nervous cutting into a new tank, even when acrylic!

holes.jpg

bottom of the tape line is where the water level needs to be for the skimmer. The bottom 1 1/4" drain should handle the full flow coming from the display and drop it back into the stock tank. Going to put a gate valve on this and run at full siphon to match the bean animal drain from the display. That is a 1" drain. The 2" hole above it is for emergency drain.

holes 1.jpg

holes 2.jpg

Ran into my first issue. The power cord from the power supply to my LED's are not long enough particularly the two lights that are furthest from the wall. Looking into if they make any extension cords otherwise will try to lengthen the cords.

Here is the control panel under the tank in its spot.

control panel under tank.jpg

control panel under tank 2.jpg

All the wires will be hiden behind the panel and only seen if the last door on each side is removed. This is where plumbing goes through the floor as well

area behind control panel.jpg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back