My great experience buying a fish from Cultivated Reef

ChrisV

BRS Member
This post details my experience buying a fish from forum sponsor @Cultivated Reef. Spoiler alert: I am a very happy customer.

About a year ago, I was lucky to obtain an adult midnight lightning clownfish, one of the more obscure ocellaris morphs that is captive bred by Sea and Reef. Since then, I've been looking for a juvenile to pair with my adult female.

After reading @thrillreefer's clownfish WTB thread, I ended up on the Cultivated Reef (a forum sponsor) website-- and to my surprise, they had midnight lightning clowns from Sea and Reef in stock.

Since the time to buy an uncommon fish is when you see the uncommon fish available, I decided to place an order. I exchanged several DMs with Holly from Cultivated Reef, who answered all of my questions.

Most importantly, I learned that Cultivated Reef operates a biosecure facility. They ONLY sell fish from Sea and Reef (a breeder with rigorous biosecurity) and they keep their fish from Sea and Reef in a dedicated system. So, essentially every fish that Captivated Reef sells comes from a clean facility.

When I placed my order, I sent Holly a picture of the clown I already have and asked her to pick a brood-stock quality clown that has a pattern that's well matched to mine. She was happy to help with this. In addition to the standard shipping confirmation email, Holly took the time to text me to let me know my fish was in the mail.

When I got my order this morning, I was extremely satisfied.

First, since Cultivated Reef is located in Maine, the package was shipped directly from Bangor to Boston without having to fly through random hub cities, experiencing the now inevitable delays.

The package arrived at 10 am, and was packed better than I have ever seen. Inside the outer carbord box I found a 1.5 inch thick foam cooler and two heat packs. My 1 inch juvenile clown was packed in about a third of a gallon of water, which seemed like a TON for such a small fish. What's more, there was a second equal size bag of just water used as a heat sink to keep the temp in the box stable. The entire box was filled by the two bags. Packing the box this way ensured the best chances for the fish, but it was no doubt considerably more expensive. I learned that the actual cost to ship a fish from Cultivated Reef is around $50, but they subsidize the shipping cost to remain competitive, and only charge $29.

The clown I received is perfect. It has great body conformation and symmetry, and a great pattern. In other words, it's a brood-stock quality clown, just like I was hoping for. As expected from a fish that came from a biosecure facility, he looked very healthy, so I was happy to put him directly into an acclimation box to get acquainted with the clown I already have.

My next Cultivated Reef order will be for an Orchid Dottyback. If I am feeling brave, I may try for a pair.

If you're considering adding fish to your tank, check out Cultivated Reef. They are a local-ish small business that sponsors our club and has good prices on healthy captive bred fish.

My adult midnight lightning clown:
PXL_20220506_164039638.jpg

My juvenile midnight lightning clown:
PXL_20220506_164010957.jpg

Great packaging job:
PXL_20220506_162034429.jpg

I love it when a livestock order comes professionally packaged.

No kidding. For comparison, my last live aquaria order arrived in a 2mm thick mylar coated foam bag (slightly less insulted than what I use for groceries) inside of a cardboard box, and my fish were in 55 degree water.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back