Need to upgrade tank lighting: does anyone have experience with nanobox?

Butchy21

BRS Member
I have a 26 gallon bowfront and have been running an entry level Marine Orbit LEDs for years. It is finally time to do a major upgrade in my lighting since I would like to see better overall growth and color, plus I will be adding some SPS frags in the near future.

Dimensions are 24” L x 14.75" W x 20.8” H.

Main options I was considering: Budget is around $400.
1.Kessil 360 - $350 - 90 watts: not sure I like how blue these are.
2. 2 x AI Prime HD - $400. 55 watts each will provide 110 watts total power: have heard about a disco-ball effect under some conditions.
3. Hydra 26 - $350 - 90 watts: coverage may be an issue for 24" long tank with a single unit.
4. Nanobox duo - I believe they are 60W

From what I've read it seems like I am leaning towards the nanobox for its coverage and how the lighting looks. Does anyone have any experience with the nanobox before I pull the trigger?

Attachments

• IMG_2162.jpg
    IMG_2162.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 243
I run a hydra 26 over my 24x20 tank and keep sps and acros all over with no issues.

If you believe coverage to be an issue 2 primes would be more then sufficient.

I have the nano box retro light. It’s 6 puck installed inside a 6 bulb 4 foot ATI Sunpower. The LEDs will grow coral but almost any led will if everything stays consistent in your tank. The Bluefish controller is not bad. Its not that pretty and it’s got a lot of useless stuff but it does he job. With the LEDs alone, I don’t think it’s got that crisp color you’ll see in AI, radions, or Reefbreeder lights. There’s also less shimmer but I chose the retro kit because it combines LEDs and T5s in one housing with just one cord off the fixture.

Visual aesthetics of everything outside of the water is important to me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not on your list, but in case you haven't already, pay @dz6t a visit. He makes a compelling case for reefbreeders lights.
Ha I actually visited Dong last week to pick up some great corals. He did mention the Reef breeders LEDs but I didn't want to purchase on the spot without any research on my end.

I have the nano box retro light. It’s 6 puck installed inside a 6 bulb 4 foot ATI Sunpower. The LEDs will grow coral but almost any led will if everything stays consistent in your tank. The Bluefish controller is not bad. Its not that pretty and it’s got a lot of useless stuff but it does he job. With the LEDs alone, I don’t think it’s got that crisp color you’ll see in AI, radions, or Reefbreeder lights. There’s also less shimmer but I chose the retro kit because it combines LEDs and T5s in one housing with just one cord off the fixture.

Visual aesthetics of everything outside of the water is important to me too.

Hmm I was thinking about how I could drop in an LED setup into a hybrid T5 setup down the line- sounds like it is one of the better options for future proofing.
I run a hydra 26 over my 24x20 tank and keep sps and acros all over with no issues.

If you believe coverage to be an issue 2 primes would be more then sufficient.
If I went that route, sounds like one Hydra 26 would be good for me then since my tank dimensions are similar to yours. Having to buy two units drives up the price a lot ha.

One 24 inch Reefbreeders photon v2 is 140w, it is at the power level of a Hydra 52 HD. It also comes with mounting legs and hanging kits. Those are extra for Hydra. Both Photon v2+ and Hydra are using the same named brand led chips, such as Cree, Osram etc.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back