New Member in Weymouth

biscuit

Non-member
Hi guys,

I've been browsing these forums for a while now and finally decided to sign up now that I am getting back into the hobby.

I grew up in Virginia about an hour from DC and moved to the Boston area about 3 years ago. My interest in saltwater tanks started when I was in high school. I decided to start my own 29g saltwater FOWLR which I ran for a couple years until I went off to college. I was moderately successful but my biggest issue was patience.

Four years and a college degree later I started up my 29g again this time with some upgrades and bigger plans. I even joined the DC metro area aquarium society (WAMAS) and had a great time as a paid member. This was short lived however as I soon got a new job a little over 8 months later that brought me to the Boston area. I lived in an apartment in Natick for 2+ years before my wife and I bought and moved into our first house in Weymouth just this past summer.

Now that we have our own place I decided it would be a good time to get back into the hobby. Even though I still have all the equipment from my original setup, I am planning to sell/get rid of most of it to start fresh. I have been eyeing up the JBJ LED Nanocubes since they are aesthetically pleasing and clean/compact enough to convince my wife that it belongs in the living room and not our basement.

I'm nowhere close to an expert on anything and will certainly post more questions than I can help to provide answer to other members but I look forward to getting to know you guys. Thanks for reading!

Hi, and welcome to BRS! I guess my first comment is that I would get as large a system as you have room for. I myself have a JBJ 28, but I also have a 125 and a 46. Just having the 28 wouldn't be enough for me :)

Thanks for the welcome! Trust me, I'd love a 75g or 90g, but right now that will have to wait. I'm thinking the 24g JBJ will satisfy my "itch" and get the wife interested enough to convince her of the upgrade later on. Plus I have to keep a small footprint with this tank for where I plan to have it located.

Sounds like a plan! What usually helps is when you get your SO involved, going to the LFS, etc. Then when they see a fish they really like, let them know the tank is too small, but you know of a X gallon tank for sale on BRS :)

Welcome aboard :w

We have some great speakers and events lined up this year for our monthly meetings. Be sure to come check some out :cool:

Welcome Aboard! Glad to hear your getting back into the addiction.

Feel free to swing into a meeting and say hello.

I started in the hobby when I was 16 and 32 years later I am still learning.

Back