Apogee MQ-510 PAR Meter | Borrowing for BRS Members

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
Boston Reefers Society, Inc. has 3 APOGEE MQ-510 (PAR) Full Spectrum Underwater Quantum Meters available for use by PAID MEMBERS.

Rules of Equipment Use:

There is a mandatory submittal of a Paid Members State Issued I.D. or Driver's License to the person that is handling that particular piece of equipment.
There is also a mandatory $40 Deposit that must be paid to the member you're retrieving it from.

Make sure to include your screen name in the email please.

Email Paul and attach your ID and provide screen name at biggiepauls33 (at) bostonreefers (dot) org to be added to the list for the southern meter. This will cover the range of Dorchester to Cape Cod and west to route 495 but south of route 90.

Email Corey provide screen name and attach your ID at coreypage (at) bostonreefers (dot) org to be added to the list for the northern meter. This will cover the range of Boston to NH and Maine, west to route 495 and north of route 90.

Email Chris provide screen name and attach your ID at chris.sturgis (at) bostonreefers (dot) org to be added to the list for the west meter. This area will cover the range of Marlborough to Western MA and west of route 495.

Northern PAR Meter

@BlueBadger 3/10/24
@Drichards
@Desktop_Reef
@Syntax
@Bigm1717

Western PAR Meter

@Moose10 current holder 3/26/24
@Chris.sturgis

Southern PAR Meter
@areefer current holder 3/12/24
@Doug H
@Cjtabares
@Alex Bonanno

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this one better for LED? What’s the difference with the other meter? I just use md the old meter to test and adjust my tank but I have LEDs. Would I get different results with this?
Pulled from ReefBuilders:

The Apogee MQ-510 is a brand new PAR meters which is specifically targeted at measuring light in underwater environments. Apogee has been giving the marine aquarium hobby a lot of attention this year with constant refinements to their handheld PAR meters.
First we had the Apogee MQ-500 PAR meter with improved sensitivity to the blue end of the lighting spectrum. The new MQ-500 PAR and the SQ-200 PAR sensor definitely gave more accurate measurements of light intensity underwater, especially with our newfangled blue heavy LED lighting.

All,
Could we confirm the PAR meters are moving along and confirm current location as whoever passed on or received these units last have not posed that it is in their possession on this post. Please make sure to post here so it is clearly known who is in possession of these units. if these units go missing we have to assume last person on the list has this. Also just to remind everyone it is assumed 2 weeks is adequate time to take readings and coordinate passing the units on to the next waiting person.

Thank You in advance,
BRS Officers

Just a reminder on how to be put on the lists

We now have (2) Apogee MQ-510 PAR meters with Carbon Meter Wands 1 North, 1 South
Southern meter will be from Quincy west towards Worcester and down into Rhode Island
Northern meter will be from Dorchester west towards Worcester and up into New Hampshire
These will require A $40 Deposit that must be PAID by the receiving member to the member that has it.
Pictures must be taken and submitted to biggiepauls33 (at) bostonreefers (dot) org immediately upon receiving the meter
Meters should not be in any members possession for more than 14 days
MQ-510 Manual:

These Meters will not be shipped between members, so don't even ask.

Same rules as before, email me a picture of your license or State ID with current information to take responsibility of meters.

Doug, @Mixed Reefer will be managing club equipment from here on out. License pictures will still need to be emailed to me to get on the list for your respectful area. So whomever has the PAR meter and whoever's next in line will be coordinated by @Mixed Reefer Thanks for understanding.

Any update on the par meter? It seems to be stuck in the same place for some time now.

@Mixed Reefer - any update on getting some dates in place to keep the PAR meter moving. This list is long and growing.
Zajack, I’m new to taking this Par meter thread over. I have thought about adding a date but to be honest im not sure if that will help move it along. A message hasn’t helped move it. But If you have some other ideas message me. I would love to hear them. I’m aware the list is long doing my best on my end to keep it moving. As a member on the list for par meters keep in mind other members are waiting. Maybe if there’s a member you know that’s on the list pair up. This will save time. One more thing I would like to say is just because your allowed 14 days to use the par meter doesn’t necessarily mean you need to have it that long. Anyway I will try to stay on top of it to make it a non issue.
Thanks
Dou

Zajack, I’m new to taking this Par meter thread over. I have thought about adding a date but to be honest im not sure if that will help move it along. A message hasn’t helped move it. But If you have some other ideas message me. I would love to hear them. I’m aware the list is long doing my best on my end to keep it moving. As a member on the list for par meters keep in mind other members are waiting. Maybe if there’s a member you know that’s on the list pair up. This will save time. One more thing I would like to say is just because your allowed 14 days to use the par meter doesn’t necessarily mean you need to have it that long. Anyway I will try to stay on top of it to make it a non issue.
Thanks
Dou
Is there a shared online google sheet to sign up (I’m in Stow, MA)?

Thanks
Dou

Posting the date merely makes you accountable because it is public, and people need to start feeling a little bit of shame because they are being lazy. If you can't link up with the next member in 7 days, its time to move to the next member. There is a level of assumed responsibility when borrowing an item such as this.

Posting the date merely makes you accountable because it is public, and people need to start feeling a little bit of shame because they are being lazy. If you can't link up with the next member in 7 days, its time to move to the next member. There is a level of assumed responsibility when borrowing an item such as this.

+1 on the accountability. If there's a hand off date, people will feel a bit more pressure to keep things moving, lol. Then that also avoids a bunch of random people commenting, "Has the meter been moving? Meter status?" etc.

Hi, after chasing parems, water changes and flow in my tank I am wondering if it is a light issue - especially since all my issues pretty much trace back to when I had to switch the lights from hydra to reefbreeder.

But I have never used a par meter. Are there instruction with it - or is there a link I missed? I'd like to get on the list but want to make sure I actually know what I am doing with it first.

C

Hi, after chasing params, water changes and flow in my tank I am wondering if it is a light issue - especially since all my issues pretty much trace back to when I had to switch the lights from hydra to reefbreeder.

But I have never used a par meter. Are there instruction with it - or is there a link I missed? I'd like to get on the list but want to make sure I actually know what I am doing with it first.

C
Have to be a Paid Member to borrow the PAR meter. Once that is done, contact @Mixed Reefer and he can get you on the list. It's pretty simple to use actually, turn it on, place the sensor at various points in your tank and read the number, There is a link to instruction via Apogee in the first post.

In the 1st message here is a list of who's on the list. I'm psyched to be next in line, but I also see strikethru used on the whole list. Is this list current? And ... when looking out for a PM and I watching for an email or a text? Just asking to be sure I don't miss it.

In the 1st message here is a list of who's on the list. I'm psyched to be next in line, but I also see strikethru used on the whole list. Is this list current? And ... when looking out for a PM and I watching for an email or a text? Just asking to be sure I don't miss it.
List is current, watch your BRS account for a message. Trying best to get North Par Meter list down so members can get to use it sooner than later. I’ll be in touch soon. Reminder to all when your using meter you can pass it on sooner than two weeks. This will help keep it moving for all.
Thanks
Doug

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back