Newbie to saltwater, starting first build

DJTank

Non-member
HI EVERYONE, thank you all for your posts lots yet to read! I have been doing freshwater for years. My 75g family community tank and 235g African Cichlid system and other tanks are great but wanted a show piece in my living room. I recently ran across a custom 90g frameless with starfire on all 4 sides. My wife suggested we go saltwater. Now have a 90g with a 65g sump but I need help learning. We like angles and butterflies so not thinking we will go full reef. I want to DIY and build most of it and not break pocketbook. Any good threads or favorite sites, you tubers, etc.? Also, let me know if there are good deals on equipment or your favorite equipment to consider. I will share as I go. Thanks in advance.

HI EVERYONE, thank you all for your posts lots yet to read! I have been doing freshwater for years. My 75g family community tank and 235g African Cichlid system and other tanks are great but wanted a show piece in my living room. I recently ran across a custom 90g frameless with starfire on all 4 sides. My wife suggested we go saltwater. Now have a 90g with a 65g sump but I need help learning. We like angles and butterflies so not thinking we will go full reef. I want to DIY and build most of it and not break pocketbook. Any good threads or favorite sites, you tubers, etc.? Also, let me know if there are good deals on equipment or your favorite equipment to consider. I will share as I go. Thanks in advance.
Welcome!!

Just a few pics of the 180 (235 system) cichlid and 75 community. Substrate is always a mess as it seems like 1 set is always breeding. Have 3 females brooding now.

20201025_192711.jpg

20201010_134958.jpg
20201025_192901.jpg
20201010_135121.jpg
20201010_135044.jpg
20201019_212451.jpg

Attachments

• 20201010_135121.jpg
    20201010_135121.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 343
  • 20201010_193430.jpg
    20201010_193430.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 332
Just a few pics of the 180 (235 system) cichlid and 75 community. Substrate is always a mess as it seems like 1 set is always breeding. Have 3 females brooding now.

View attachment 150520
View attachment 150521View attachment 150526View attachment 150527View attachment 150528View attachment 150524
Noticed pic of 75 doesn't show fish well, will need better pics but also recently did a change over from barbs, tetras, and german blue rams, transitioning to angels and female bettas.

I'm researching... anyone have suggestions for thier favorite RO/DI, protien skimmer, lights, pumps, etc? Looking for best bang for the buck, willing to spend a little now to save replacing or wishing I upgraded but not looking to spend mega dollars either.... ok with used with good life left also.

I'm researching... anyone have suggestions for thier favorite RO/DI, protien skimmer, lights, pumps, etc? Looking for best bang for the buck, willing to spend a little now to save replacing or wishing I upgraded but not looking to spend mega dollars either.... ok with used with good life left also.
Ive got a nano tank I’ve been doing on a budget for the most part. I can’t comment on the lighting because I have a Biocube that came with leds. On amazon there are leds that I’ve heard are ok, I’ll attach a pic. As for pumps, you don’t need anything special if your going for a budget. I’ve got two power heads that I could give to you for cheap. I have a 72gallon and personally don’t run an RO/DI with it, I just do water changes bi weekly with r/o water from the store. It is very cheap, maybe a few bucks for 25-30 gallons. (At least at the critter hut near me) I guess it will save money in the long run but you don’t need to set it up immediately. Protein skimmer is obviously a good idea, Craigslist sometimes has some for cheap that people just want to get rid of. Let me know if you’d like those power heads, we can figure out a price in Richmond RI. Happy reefing!
(Salt is also gonna be expensive, I use reef crystals by instant ocean.)

Seems you want a Fish Only with Live Rock, “FOWLR” type setup.
If you are not going to stock any photosynthetic life, then you can
use cheap lights that suit your color temperature preferences for
viewing the fish.
I would suggest getting a quality light if you will keep inverts that need it. I suggest you check out the Reefbreeders PhotonV2, it is all you will ever need for a 90 gallon. You can run it at low power and grow anything. Even on sandbed. I like Spectrapure RO unit’s. Good value. Get a rig with booster pump to waste less water and make pure water faster especially if you pay a water bill.Skimmer- there are so many. I have a Bubble Magus, I like it. Reef Octopus is good too. Go larger if you will keep messy fish or those that feed heavily.
Don’t skimp. Research now and save money with good decisions.
You can save money by using ocean water, you collect yourself, if you are close... use RODI for top off though!!!

Last edited:
Those are beautiful FW tanks by the way. I have four in my house.
My son and I breed and raise lemon blue-eye ancistrus (plecos).

I have an Amazon biotope with plants in a 55, and my daughter has a 10 planted community and my son a 29 planted community. Love the tanks!

View attachment 150520
View attachment 150521View attachment 150526View attachment 150527View attachment 150528View attachment 150524

Welcome! Nice collection of cichlids. I didn't know that people dose irish cream liquor to freshwater tanks like how we do vodka for the saltwater. ;) Those bottles give nice touch to the aquascape.

How many angelfish and butterfly fish are you looking to keep?
Not sure yet, going to start by stocking light and expand. Family is looking at thier favorites and then we will pick 1-2 med-low price so I don't learn mistakes on thousands of dollars of fish. Some day hope to fill tank to healthy capacity for a FOWLR. Got some time as I build the tank this winter.

Those are beautiful FW tanks by the way. I have four in my house.
My son and I breed and raise lemon blue-eye ancistrus (plecos).

I have an Amazon biotope with plants in a 55, and my daughter has a 10 planted community and my son a 29 planted community. Love the tanks!
Thanks, they need some TLC this weekend but had great luck with them. My kids have 4 breeding tanks also. Looking for some good German Blue Ram and Kribensis sets for them now. My oldest is a big fan of plecos. Both tanks have a few... bristlenose, chocolate, clown (runt only grew to 2 inches), and rubberlip. I am sure she would love to
breed plecos but I heard they are difficult to breed?

Bristlenose breeding does not seem difficult at all... we have a nice little store near the house that sells these Pleco caves that are ceramic of various sizes. The male just goes in and fans the water through to keep the eggs fresh with a supply. Roughly 4 day incubation and the dad keeps watch over them an additional 4-6 days. Sometimes a precocious one gets past him early. They are easy to feed, blanched zucchini logs without seeds are what we condition parents and babies on. They lay 25-35 eggs per clutch and you can watch them develop. Big eggs. I am sure you know, but sexing bristlenose is easy. Bristle-bearers are males, no bristles on nose then it is a female. Both sexes have the under opercular bristle clump they can extend and retract. My son thinks it is used for communication. I think he is right. We see them “flash” each other from time to time while posturing.

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back