Newbie to saltwater, starting first build

This is the brand. We needed to upgrade the size of the cave as Mom and Dad grew. The dad rejected eggs when he outgrew the cave. Hardest part of breeding plecos is the waste they create... lots of poop! We just sold a lot of 13 lemon blue eye plecos we raised at 4$ a pop.

Last edited:
Looking at Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer 125 for $118 for the 90gal but it has a 65 gal sump. 1. Is this a good brand or anything I should watch for? Reviews are 3.5-4.2 out of 5 stars but most issues seem to be small leaks when hanging. Planning to put in sump. 2. Is a 125 gl skimmer too small for my 155 system (less with rock, etc).? How much am I going to notice the undersizing?

I would dissuade you from this skimmer. I have not been impressed with this brand over the years, but have never owned a skimmer of that make. I think it might be over-rated for capability too. You might want to go for something slightly bigger or more efficient.
Skimping here is a mistake, as this is an enormously important piece of equipment, depending on the type of tank you want to run.
Sometimes people get great results with no skimmer but need to make up for it elsewhere.

I recommend a cone shaped Venturi skimmer with bubble plate and DC controllable pump with peg-style impeller. It should be made of cast acrylic that can be easily taken apart for cleaning. Many brands are out there that fill the bill at similar price points. If you are looking to keep costs down just shop around and you might save a few bucks here and there but be prepared to spend 300 on average, maybe more. Look for used too. Holiday sales will be coming too. Good timing. You can start the tank skimmerless too, with little ill effect. Actually it takes time to build livestock and enough crud to start really skimming efficiently anyway.

Ok, busy day of running for the build after I got down with fall yard work. Starting to make progress. I want to thank those who have helped me along the way so far. Really appreactie the BRD family here.

... and now for the build update. Just got a great RODI system and a bunch of extras, heater, etc. I also grabbed a Tunze skimmer. Picking up my sump this week and grabbed a few sumps for other builds this weekend... All this from our members here. I see this as a way to pay some of those back that help others or myself through this group. Yes, I am also happy I saved some money and that I gave this stuff a second life (don't like waste, like to reuse when I can... maybe it pays back a little for all the other stuff I consume).

Planning stage is in progress. Putting a lot of thought into it so I can expand in the future. To keep weight off first floor I am putting sump in the basement. @mike G, thanks for the inspiration and guidance. I am sure I will have more questions as I build. My sump will be 150g with a ref. on the side. My rodi and 2 barrel mixing station will be right next to it. I was going with 55g barrels but watching bulk reef supply lessons they made a good point that a can with a cover will be better to clean. Anyone avey had a can fail on them though? Couldn't imagine a mess like that. Going to add in a manifold comming off with ball valves so I can add in tanks, frag tanks, or whatever I decide in future. Since my 90 is rimless ans drilled with two holes in the corner I am brainstorming the best setup for the circulation. I am thinking a weir but really want it cleaner than that. Wondering if I would sacrifice a lot of I just did the flow and return pipes and integrated them into rock?

I did have a square brute Rubbermaid fail at the grab handle mid way up side on front. It was a 55 gallon wheeled unit. I thought I was slick buying this stuyle due to the flat front face where a bulkhead could be fitted. Well bulkhead was fine but one day I came home and had a 20 gallon puddle. The plastic around the handle was thin I guess. Now I use Norsesco tanks rated for lights storage that come with bulkhead installed. Little pricey but nice and heavily made.

Ok, I know I owe an update. I have been busy gathering for the build. Met quite a few of you that were selling stuff, thank you by the way. I found myself really focusing on giving your stuff a second life. I bought a brs 75gpd RODI, a kessil ap700, 150 gal rubbermaid sump, live rock and sand, 3 brute cans, tunze skimmer, tunze ato, an extra skimmer, an extra 100 gal rubbermaid, a heater, and a bunch of smaller stuff from you all. I also cleaned up on petco 25% curbside pickup to fill in the gaps. Admittedly I have more than I need but not sure yet, may use the 100 gal as waste water from my rodi so I can run my siphon to drain it instead of trying to plumb to a drain. I built shelves so my rodi and salt water will be higher than my sump. Next step is a run to Depot to plumb it all while rock soaks. I always run 2 or more heaters I think I am going to run 4 in this setup. I also plan to run 2 simultanius pumps for redundancy and efficiency. Has anyone done this?

Stating my fish list. I will start out 4 mollies and then was thinking on adding with cheapest and most hearty next so if I mess something up it won't be as expensive of a lesson. My mollies may tranfer to my 60 gallon quarantine tank when not in use. Since I will now have >600 gallons and over 10 years in freshwater hobby I hope to learn saltwater without too many mistakes but I know it can happen. We really want a tank full of butterfly, angel, and dottybacks but open to other similar fish. I want to plan ahead so I can research and shop before hand.

Now I need your experience. It is a 90 gallon (almost a cube). I now have a ton of rock and structure. I also have a 150 gallon sump with at least 10x turn on my pumps. My biggest concern is realestate in my 90. What would you suggest my maximum stocking would be? What combo would you suggest and why if there is rules or reasons?

The best advice on stocking I think you must adhere to is start with the smallest and most passive fish and add them first. Then when they have fully settled work your way up the aggressive/size scale to the biggest bully you want to keep.

Another key stocking guide for marine fish is add species of dissimilar color schemes across species/body type. E.g. don’t add a yellow tang and another solid yellow fish that is round and expect that to go well...

As for number... that depends on swimming and hiding space and the size of the fish.
A full grown Heniochus butterfly is too large for a 90. I would stick to species with a maximum size in the wild of under 5”. I highly suggest all Pygmy angels too, or make one larger species the centerpiece. Stay away from fish that grow 6” plus for sure, if you want to keep them long term. Make sure there are plenty of hiding places in your structure and your success will increase.

One year later and build is back on!!!! Well it never stopped but it slowed to a crawl between changing jobs, family, other builds including a 3ft by 4ft parakeet cage, and of course maintaining the rest of the freshwater tanks and pets. Over 150 lineal feet of pvs and plumbing in the floor and walls with redundant pumps. A 90 gallon 4 side starfire tank, 150g sump, kessil 700, rodi system, over 200 pounds of rock and sand and a TON and I mean a ton of misc smaller stuff all from BRS members. Thank you all and thanks to those who mainatin website amd market place. Love that I could give much of this a second life. Buold still in progress but figured I owed a few pics.
20220112_195657.jpg
20220112_195547.jpg
20220112_195616.jpg

Also send me names of your favorite butterfly or angel fish and fish you think would go good with them in a FOWLR. Starting to work with the family and create a plan to introduce fish. First saltwater but 8th tank in the house.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back