Nick's 345G Build

Thanks once again for sharing nick. Good to hear reborn is still available. If you don’t mind me asking was drying out the rock purposeful. Or just convenient?

I didn’t have a choice. When we moved. I didn’t want to deal with anything live although I knew I would restart a tank again. Just wasn’t sure when. The rocks were left outside in the woods lol.
I just like the forms and shapes of them and they’re mostly Fiji rocks. Some are from my very first reef tank where I paid $12.99 per pound from Seaworld, Salem NH. So the rocks and I have some memories together. :D
After 3 months into the new house, I felt out of place without a tank so I collected the rocks, pressure washed them, and soaking it in the Rubbermaid to bring them back. http://bostonreefers.org/forums/index.php?threads/did-something-naughty-today.166696/
5 months later, I hooked up that Rubbermaid to a frag tank to get a head start. 3 months after that, the start of this current tank begins.
I think having had a head start on the rocks made a big difference in starting this tank. I didn’t have any algae phase because the rocks already been curing for a very long time and likely whatever nutrient leaching out already happened in the Rubbermaid and burn itself out. It was really just coraline that I needed to wait for to come in.
I guess my point is that if you have good liverocks, don’t throw them out. Well you can throw them out in the yard but with some time and patience, they will be as useful as store bought $12.99/lb rocks.

Great info, it’s impressive that the coraline came back. Thanks again for the inspirational photos.

Great info, it’s impressive that the coraline came back. Thanks again for the inspirational photos.
I’ve anecdotally seen that rocks/plastic parts that have had coralline coverage and then dried out, get re-covered faster. I wonder if live coralline can re-inhabit the calcareous skeletons or something

Some giganteas madness.
_Z7D0256.jpg

_Z7D0257.jpg

_Z7D0254.jpg

No directly feeding other than just food for the fish. I don’t want them to be any bigger!

I have 4 Perculas. My favorite type of clowns. But they're not that friendly toward each other. My magic number is 4. It has always been 4 that I've been able to keep regardless of how big the gigs are. I've tried adding more clowns twice but they ended up killing each other until the number gets down to 4. I decided to not kill any more clownfish and sticking with the 4 clowns.
It's a shame really.

I almost threw out my breakfast watching that. I will use a tripod next time. :D

That video is awesome! Time to get fancy and get one of this

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back