Nick's Reef

Transfer has completed. May the reef god have mercy on me.
original.jpg

Video of the Elos a day before I start the transfer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIGztWmzIaU
I already miss it. I Walked down this morning to the family room and it feels nostalgia when I look over to see an empty tank.

[video=youtube;VIGztWmzIaU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIGztWmzIaU[/video]

Last edited:
What do you attribute your coral growth too? That is some crazy growth for only 2 years.

I'm not sure but I do keep up with my weekly water change and my dosing ALK, CA, MG initially and then with a CA reactor. I don't think the growth is that extraordinary. This is how SPS grow when condition is favorable. Even though I have these growth, I did have some frags that did not make it due to their slow growth rate and getting overshadowed by the faster growing competitor. Montipora Capricornus are the worse. They grow fast and will overshadowed and eventually kill everything. For his reason, I did not transfers the monti cap colony. Not only they're hard to manage and hard to place in the new tank, they grow too fast. I only saved about 3" of each piece and the rest of them will be dried out and re-use in my CA reactor. I also didn't save the think encrusting on some of the colony because it's too hard to chisel off the rock without damaging the rest of the colony. I had many broken pieces. They're a pain to save while you try to do the transfer as fast as possible with the colder weather. Those too are also will be use in my ca reactor.
I always dip my incoming corals with Bayer and when I do tank transfer, I also do the bayer. It's safe and will kill a lot of troublesome pest later one. I took the tank transfer opportunity to do the dip. It was a lot of work but the transfer was completed in about 3 days. LPS were the first to go. Then SPS and then fish.
Everything is settling nicely in the new tank. The CA reactor has been hooked up to the new tank, ATO is hooked up. I just need to get my refugium up.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back