O.r.p What in simple terms is it?

deadhermitwalkin

Non-member
O.R.P Oxidation-Reduction Potential

In simple terms what is it, and how effective are devices that monitor O.R.P..

I tried to look it up, but it reads like stereo instructions.

Thanks for the help.
:)

Last edited:
you are very welcome.

Actually, ORP doesn't tell you much. In the dark age of reefing, people some how related to ORP to better tank water quality.

quoting randy's article,

"ORP is an interesting, if complicated, measure of the properties of water in a marine aquarium. It has uses in monitoring certain events in aquaria that impact ORP but may be otherwise hard to detect. These events could include immediate deaths of organisms, as well as long term increases in the levels of organic materials. Aquarists that are monitoring ORP in an aquarium, and are doing things that otherwise seem appropriate for maintaining an aquarium (such as increasing aeration, skimming, use of carbon, etc.) may find monitoring ORP to be a useful way to see progress.

ORP measurements are very susceptible to errors. Aquarists are strongly cautioned to not overemphasize absolute ORP readings, especially if they have not recently calibrated their ORP probe. Rather, the most useful ways of using ORP involve looking at changes in measured ORP.

Some aquarists use oxidizers to raise ORP. Those additions may be of benefit in some aquaria, and they may be beneficial in ways that aren't demonstrated by changes in ORP alone. I've never added such materials to my aquarium. In the absence of convincing data otherwise, such additions seem to me to have more potential risk than is justified by the demonstrated and hypothesized benefits.

Happy Reefing!"

I believe that's what I said, just articulated much better? ORP is not totally useless, it can clue the aquarist in to trends and such in the system. It does not specify what's going on, but it can indicate that it's time to keep an eye out for a developing problem.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back