Large skimmer or refugium

• Large skimmer

• Refugium

• Both

Results are only viewable after voting.

Joker

Viking Corals
BRS Member
This is definitely a question many of us has had come across our minds. I know both is best but what if you had to choose between the two, which would you choose? Right now I'm stuck with this dilemma. As you all know I have added a frag tank to my main system which now is totaling about 90-100gs. My old skimmer is not cutting it anymore. I have a larger skimmer rated for 200-250g (I know its huge its ment for my upgrade) but it will only fit in my sump if I remove the refuge section of the sump. My chaeto doesn't seem to be growing but not dying either. I have added fish to the frag tank as cleanup crew so that's where the added waste is coming from. Let me know what you guys think.

I’m still learning, but after seeing @dz6t’s setup, I’d say it’s okay to drop the fuge if you have a big skimmer, lots of rubble, and lots of frags to soak up the nitrates.

I haven't ran a refugium since 2006. Heavy in, heavy out for nutrients. I have a skimmer rated for 200 gallons heavily stocked, or 300 with a medium bio load. I have two tanks, a 100 and 80 that share a common 34 gallon sump. 2 clowns, 2 pajamas, 1 yellow tang, 1 magnificent foxface, 1 2 spot/ blue eyed, 1 niger trigger, 1 desjardini, 1 chocolate/mimic and 1 tomini. I don't feel that I'm even close to medium bio load yet and run the skimmer 24/7 on the highest output. I feed heavy and remove heavy, always worked for me.

I haven't ran a refugium since 2006. Heavy in, heavy out for nutrients. I have a skimmer rated for 200 gallons heavily stocked, or 300 with a medium bio load. I have two tanks, a 100 and 80 that share a common 34 gallon sump. 2 clowns, 2 pajamas, 1 yellow tang, 1 magnificent foxface, 1 2 spot/ blue eyed, 1 niger trigger, 1 desjardini, 1 chocolate/mimic and 1 tomini. I don't feel that I'm even close to medium bio load yet and run the skimmer 24/7 on the highest output. I feed heavy and remove heavy, always worked for me.
To be honest I think this skimmer is ment for a much larger tank. It's a reef octo diablo with a body diameter between 6-8 inches, Ran by a jebao dc 6000 that i also bought a upgrade kit needle wheel for.

What about selling the skimmer and picking up a lifereef. They have extension kits so you can run a 24 now (if it fits) and add an extension when you upgrade. That way you can keep your fuge.

How do you know it’s not working? Rise in nutrients? Feed less water changes. Add more frags to absorb nutrients. With a larger skimmer or oversized it won’t be skimming consistently. I think we need more info and pictures to help.

How do you know it’s not working? Rise in nutrients? Feed less water changes. Add more frags to absorb nutrients. With a larger skimmer or oversized it won’t be skimming consistently. I think we need more info and pictures to help.
Its increase in my nitrate. I do weekly 15g water changes and my nitrate still climbs. I fed 2 times a day in my main tank and once every other day in the frag tank. I have sense dropped the main tank feedings to 1 time per day. Plus my other skimmer fills up within a day of pure black skim. The skimmer is only rated for a 75g at lite bio load and 50g or less with a heavy bio load. I know I have a heavy bio load and it was not keeping up.

To be honest I think this skimmer is ment for a much larger tank. It's a reef octo diablo with a body diameter between 6-8 inches, Ran by a jebao dc 6000 that i also bought a upgrade kit needle wheel for.
Ha! I have that pump as my return pump. Way oversized for my 50 gal

Wouldnt say its a huge skimmer but currently running reef octopus classic 110 INT skimmer on 65G with 20G sump. Rated for heavily stocked 60G, I got 9x small fish with biggest my coral beauty.

I use to run skimmer and chaeto in my sump. Chaeto started not to do so great after a few months, ended up chucking it. Much less hassle with just the skimmer, chaeto fragments always found a way to make it into my pumps reducing efficiency/more maintenance.

Back