Par meter eye opener

highfive52

FISH and CHIPS
What a eye opener. Hot spots galore. The eye just doesn't pick up.

Poor torches RIP, I'm so sorry 400 plus.

600 over nem rock, turned down they extended more, turned back up, can't have that going on it's already out of control.. Sheesh.

Really cool tool. Everyone should use these even to just get basic reads. Thank you BRS for having this tool and allowing us to use it.

Rules for rental under par meter thread. If this Lil perk doesn't get you on board to become a member.....hmmmmm.

TIME WELL SPENT.

Thanks Keith for purple style piece. If you need more cheato, let me know.

Last edited:
If you're spending the money on corals, they're well worth the time. I ended up purchasing one for myself so I can check my levels frequently.

If you're spending the money on corals, they're well worth the time. I ended up purchasing one for myself so I can check my levels frequently.
Now I know I fried stuff I might just get one seeing my tank is going in different direction after losses due to lighting.

Now I know I fried stuff I might just get one seeing my tank is going in different direction after losses due to lighting.
Lights don't stay at the same strength forever. Anyone who has been in the hobby long enough to know life before LEDs can attest to this. Even LEDs which say they'll last 10+ years do lose intensity over time and how will you know when this time is? By checking the PAR readings. Spray/evaporation from the tank can hinder the output of your lights too and you'd be surprised how little it takes to actually effect your output. T5 and MH have general rules of thumb in regards to replacement schedules but every tank/fixture/setup is different. The only way to tell for sure when its time to replace bulbs or sufficiently clean your fixtures is based off of the PAR readings. Sure this is overkill but at least I can be confident that the reason my corals aren't flourishing will never be from light intensity!

You can never have enough equipment!

wow, this par meter is going to be making some serious road trips this week. lol.

everyone please post your experience to get more people involved and the peeps that own them please please post your experiences ie. lil tips and tricks.

the meter and par is not so scary, its a quick video and your off to the races. I was petrified and didn't think I could understand it. Its kinda fun. lol.

please read the par meter rental rules and contact Doug @Mixed Reefer to get on the list. You definitely wont want to pass this opportunity up, seeing as Bulk Reef charges 70.00 rental for 7 days and you do not get it back. Utilize what our club is offering us for freeeeeeeeeeeeee.

The par meter is indeed SO useful. Such a fantastic perk of paid membership.

I've used it twice now and each time I learned a lot about my system. Honestly it's so useful that I'm tempted to buy one...but they are so expensive.

There are a lot of people who consider this a one time use item, but I disagree. So many factors to consider, above.

I've used it twice now and each time I learned a lot about my system. Honestly it's so useful that I'm tempted to buy one...but they are so expensive.

There are a lot of people who consider this a one time use item, but I disagree. So many factors to consider, above.
I agree. As reef morphs it would be handy to morph along with it instead of fighting with reef.

I agree. As reef morphs it would be handy to morph along with it instead of fighting with reef.
Totally. It enables troubleshooting at a whole different level.

We would don't let other important parameters go unmeasured.

Now that most reefers use LEDs that emit a lot of light outside of the viable spectrum, it's too big of a gamble to adjust new lights by eye alone.

We now have (3) Apogee M huQ-510 PAR meters with Carbon Meter Wands 1 North, 1 South, 1 Central/Western Area
Southern meter will be from Quincy west towards Worcester and down into Rhode Island
Northern meter will be from Dorchester west towards Worcester and up into New Hampshire

• These will require a $40 Deposit that must be PAID by the receiving member to the member that has it.
  • Current License or ID needs to be emailed to @Mixed Reefer at doug.murray (@) bostonreefers (dot) org Make sure to include your forum screen name
  • Pictures must be taken and submitted to doug.murray(@)bostonreefers(.)org immediately upon receiving the meter.
  • Meters should not be in any members possession for more than 14 days
  • MQ-510 Manual:
    https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/content/MQ-510-manual.pdf
  • These Meters will not be shipped between members, so don't even ask.
  • Same rules as before, email me a picture of your license or State ID with current information to take responsibility of meters. If you get a PM from me with yourself and the current holder of said PAR meter and don't respond within 72 hours, you will be placed at the end of the list.
These will be available for borrowing on October 5th, 2020

North
1. @zajack current holder 12/30/21
2. @highfive52
3. @Cheddah93

South:
1. @Marrc007 current holder 12/21/21
2. @Jtaylor37
3. @ReefHotel

West:
1. @lblack2x4 current holder 10/4/21

Last edited by a moderator:

Isnt a seneye like $200???? That shizzle does par/pur iirc?

Isnt a seneye like $200???? That shizzle does par/pur iirc?
I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but my understanding is that the apogee 510 is better suited to doing par from LEDs underwater. I don't remember why. I'm sure the into is out there though. Either way, seneye par meters seemed like a bit of a pain to me. They need to be hooked up to a PC to measure par. Since I am a mac person this was an issue.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back