Parasitic Acro Flatworms: PLEASE HELP !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an SPS colony at a LFS that is infected with parasitic flatworms. I used a magnifying glass and positively identified the eggs of this parasite. I was really surprised, since I treat every incoming colony with Interceptor for the red bugs and a really strong Seachem Coral Disinfectant dip. I am pretty sure that none of my other corals in the display tank have been affected. The colony was beautiful, a bright yellow skeleton with glowing green polyps. When the polyps stopped coming out, I suspected something was wrong and now the colony is soaking in Coral Disinfectant. I plan to quarantine the coral in a 5 gallon bucket with small powerhead, heater, and some Lugol's dip. I also heard that the eggs have to be scraped off and that the are immune to most treatments...is this true ?

Does anyone know what treatment protocol works for these worms and their eggs ?

What incoming protocol is best to deal with these parasites ? I have done some research on Reef Central and on our forums and Lugol's solution is supposed to work. Also, people are recommending six-line wrasses to prevent further outbreaks. Others are recommending flatworm exit for a total system treatment which I hope I will not need...anyone know any more about the efficacy of FWE ?

Has anyone dealt directly with these parasites and has anyone succesfully gotten rid of them ?

Thanks Moe...I already looked at that thread. But I disagree that these worms are found mostly on tank raised frags. I lost 2 colonies to these worms around 2 months ago...and now I am fighting to save the presently infested colony.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had them 2 months ago how do you know that you still didnt have them in your tank from then? I only hear one person whining...

I agree that most fish stores and online vendors not just LFS need to be more pro-active with pest control.
A big however here though!!!!
I know at least one of our LFS stores discovered flatworms and immediately took action,treated and put a hold on selling any coral from the infected system,they also publicaly displayed information on the problem.This particular fish store should be commended for their actions not chastised (sp)
So please do not generalise and tar all LFS with the same brush so to speak.
That is unfair ;)

I do feel your pain and understand you madness Chuck.

Last edited:
Without getting into sponsorship issues.. these things are going to be the bane of the acropora hobby for awhile.. flatworm exit has no effect on them, greenex has no effect, and neither does a regular dip or lugols dip. The only way to "cure" an infested colony is a several month quarantine with strong dips of lugols to annoy the larger worms enough for you to manually remove them and egg scrape and eventually break the cycle. I don't believe the cycle can be broken in an aquarium containing large amounts of SPS at this time. There is currently no interceptor type treatment for acropora flatworms. They've been around awhile, and are more prevalent in germany where people have learned to live with them. What reefkeepers are now learning is that our hobby is similar to the plant world.. there are always going to be pests and you are always going to have to do things to rid yourself of them. Even the best plant nurseries get pests such as aphids, whiteflies, scale, mealybugs, etc and they have access to some nasty pesticides. I"m not saying that there will never be a "cure" for these things, but I do believe you are going to see more of them. They are in the hobby, and it's time for people to start taking quarantine and pest removal at the home level more seriously.

Chuck,

Flatworm Exit has no effect on these type of flatworms. I can tell you what worked for me, but it's probably not what you want to hear.

I discarded all three colonies where I found the flatworms, I would especially get rid of the colony with the egg masses - why take chances ?

The three colonies that were affected in my tank were all in close proximity of each other. One was a wild colony, the other two were Bali "aquacultured". I never treated the entire tank for these flatworms because I never read of anything being effective. I added a possum wrasse, but never saw it hovering around any of the other acro colonies in my tank.

These flatworms come in quite frequently, and will become more prevalent in the hobby for sps keepers. We need to be really diligent about examining and quarantining future acquisitions.

These pests could have come from any LFS in the area -

As regards getting rid of sponsors!!!
are'nt they what helps to keep this club running??????

chuck,
the eggs are the biggest problem.
when i first found out i had them, I dipped everything in a iodine bath. you could see them comming off.
this does not affect the eggs.
the eggs have to be physically removed.
this means weeks of inspections and treatments.
you can be sucessfull in removing the pests, its just take a TON of effort and time. its tough, but the ones that look to be completely infested need to be removed and chances are they can't be saved.
I have been worm free for more than a month.

I have been seeing them come in from all over the wholesale market. and I am willing to bet that this has been around for alot longer than we think. Monkeyboy lost his tank 2 years ago to these. but back then it was a huge mystery....

Last edited:
as for the sixline, I have only heard of sixlines eating adults they do nothing for eggs right?

LFSs should not be selling corals with these pests...period. Or at least they should let the buyer know that corals that are coming in from Bali, or wherever.

Stangs8...I can narrow the worms down to 2 stores since all of the colonies I bought from each were infected. Before I bought these "bali aquacultured colonies" I never had these pests in my tank. They did not come out of thin air, they did not frags traded, an the did not come from existing colonies in my tank. If you don' like what is posted here, then go read another thread and stop YOUR whining.

Chuck, please calm down. I realize you're upset about your coral losses. There's no need to attack people.

To all: no disparaging posts or threads will be locked and posting abilities will be suspended.

Thanks.

Hmmmm

Scott,

OK, let's assume that there are problems with the wholesale products...does that mean that the hobbyist is responsible for eradicating these pests and that retailers can just sell corals with these pests without treatment or without describing the risk to the buyer? B4 I got these 3 corals (2 of them from Reefdom and 1 from Aqua Addicts) I HAD NO PREDATORY FLATWORMS in my tank and I did not realize that I was buying them. I did all of the steps I thought were correct: Heavy iodine bath and intercepter treatment AND now I have these friggin worms eating my corals....I am friggin pissed! after all of the $ I spent to restock my tank.

The retailers need to own up to this problem as well and at least alert buyers so that they don't lose their whole SPS tanks to these predators.

Scott Merrill said:
chuck,
the eggs are the biggest problem.
when i first found out i had them, I dipped everything in a iodine bath. you could see them comming off.
this does not affect the eggs.
the eggs have to be physically removed.
this means weeks of inspections and treatments.
you can be sucessfull in removing the pests, its just take a TON of effort and time. its tough, but the ones that look to be completely infested need to be removed and chances are they can't be saved.
I have been worm free for more than a month.

I have been seeing them come in from all over the wholesale market. and I am willing to bet that this has been around for alot longer than we think. Monkeyboy lost his tank 2 years ago to these. but back then it was a huge mystery....

Stangs8

Did you read Stangs8 post...I believe he mentioned "whining" and I am not attacking anyone...he attacked me!

Moe_K said:
Chuck, please calm down. I realize you're upset about your coral losses. There's no need to attack people.

To all: no disparaging posts or threads will be locked and posting abilities will be suspended.

Thanks.

Moe,

These flatworms are a BIG problem and the word needs to get out...that is all I am trying to do here. I am not attacking anyone but I am not going to be a pinata either.

By participating in this hobby the hobbyist recognizes the need for a quarantine tank and the fact that fish and corals can and will carry parasites. You ask Calfo or any of the gurus and this is what they will tell you. You say you knew you had these months ago yet you continued to sell your frags to unsuspecting hobbyists, I dont supose you had a disclosure for them to sign or anything!

Chuck,

Unfortunately, the same thing occured with the red mites. Since it's all history now so I suppose we can lay it on the table, but it's well known that ORA had the red bugs infesting most of the Acros they were shipping. They likely contaminated hundreds of hobbyists and shops with the critters. They worked on the problem and got lucky (my opinion, but certainly up for debate) and found a rare cure that caused very few problems as a treatment in a reef tank. They were applauded by the reef community for their work, but at the same time, if they had not found a cure.....might have been ugly for them.

Scott and Jeremy....great comments and info. I wholeheartedly agree about the comparison to gardening, etc.

I understand, Chuck.
Just post the information. Lose the anger.

Lets not get into "he started it."

As I already mentioned to everyone - stop the disparaging posts.

Informative discussion should continue.

Wow!

Greg,

That is really interesting. I always viewed ORA as the premier aquaculture facility and Dustin as a hero for solving the red bug problem. To hear that they caused a large portion of these bugs is news to me....WOW that is incredible!

Thanks for the info Greg!

Greg Hiller said:
Chuck,

Unfortunately, the same thing occured with the red mites. Since it's all history now so I suppose we can lay it on the table, but it's well known that ORA had the red bugs infesting most of the Acros they were shipping. They likely contaminated hundreds of hobbyists and shops with the critters. They worked on the problem and got lucky (my opinion, but certainly up for debate) and found a rare cure that caused very few problems as a treatment in a reef tank. They were applauded by the reef community for their work, but at the same time, if they had not found a cure.....might have been ugly for them.

Scott and Jeremy....great comments and info. I wholeheartedly agree about the comparison to gardening, etc.

Again, Please calm down. Everyone. It doesn't matter who perceives being attacked first, second, whatever - Personal attacks and bad attitudes won't be tolerated from anyone.

Moe's warning was not limited to you, and neither is this one. It goes for everyone. Last chance to keep this thread clean before it's locked. Please stay on your topic of dealing with the acro worms.

Thanks,
Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back