Paul B's thread

I am still sucking out algae with my diatom filter every other day. The stuff grows long and fills up with bubbles. Unsightly but very healthy. Eventually it will stop and the tank will once again be pristine.

The corals are all extending and so far, I don't see any sponge, which was the goal of all this cleaning.

If you look close you can see the algae. Much of it is clear because it is dying.

FTS April.JPG

So last night this Jiboni comes down the hill across from my house and flies over a speed bump. The speed limit in the complex is 10 mph but of course most go about 20, but not 60.

He drove on the wrong side of the road and took out about 60' of brand new railings.

Broken railing.JPG

Then went a hundred yards to jump over two 10"X10" posts and land on top of one of them. He left much of his front end here.
Car wreck.JPG

The car didn't move after that but the guy went to jail.

81oblermwfl-_ac_ul640_ql65_-jpg.1739204

In the last few months since I gave away two larger fish I added quite a few smaller, more interesting fish. Of course I threw them right in so maybe ich, uronema, velvet and diphtheria will soon rear it's ugly head.

I added some of these. 2 or 3

Maybe 3 of these.

This totally very cool guy. (I am trying to get more of them)

These two guys.

Two of these Ladies and one male.

This guy

Another one of these

And these

This guy

Two of these.

And one of these

I think I have about 44 fish and I am sure I forgot some but those are the ones I can think of that I got recently with in 6 or so months.

I have to run a diatom filter on my tank almost every day to remove dying algae that keeps growing after my sponge removal.

I think I tore my rotator cuff (for the 8th time) so it is very difficult to get my left arm over the tank so I spill water all over the place.

Old diatom filters are not easy to use even with 2 good arms. :confused:

I can't wait to get this ASW out of my tank.

They keep saying we need more rain. Exactly how much do we need?

I can barely get through the puddles now.

Puddle.jpg

There is a large pond across the street from me and it has many bullfrogs in it. There is so much water in it now that the frogs get the bends when they go to the bottom and back.

So I spent today in the emergency room in the hospital. I like to do that when I have nothing to do but this morning I moved a certain way like when I do the Macarana and tore some more of my rotator cuff. I had I think 7 surgeries to repair these things. I think my surgeon used those aluminum toggle bolts from Home Depot because my rotator cuff repairs don't last to long. I just had it fixed a year and a half ago and the warranty is over.

I dropped my phone and reached for it with the arm with the torn rotator cuff and I hit the ceiling. And it was just painted.

Immediate pain like when you accidently lay in fire coral while wearing a Speedo. They gave me a shot and I have an appointment with my shoulder surgeon but this time I want an entirely new shiny aluminum shoulder.

This way I can give people the cold shoulder.
My problem is soon we are taking the family on a cruise to Bermuda so I can't get it fixed until we get back so I will have to suck up the pain for a couple of months and just rely on alcohol. :)

So I spent today in the emergency room in the hospital. I like to do that when I have nothing to do but this morning I moved a certain way like when I do the Macarana and tore some more of my rotator cuff. I had I think 7 surgeries to repair these things. I think my surgeon used those aluminum toggle bolts from Home Depot because my rotator cuff repairs don't last to long. I just had it fixed a year and a half ago and the warranty is over.

I dropped my phone and reached for it with the arm with the torn rotator cuff and I hit the ceiling. And it was just painted.

Immediate pain like when you accidently lay in fire coral while wearing a Speedo. They gave me a shot and I have an appointment with my shoulder surgeon but this time I want an entirely new shiny aluminum shoulder.

My problem is soon we are taking the family on a cruise to Bermuda so I can't get it fixed until we get back so I will have to suck up the pain for a couple of months and just rely on alcohol. :)
Sorry to hear about the shoulder. I've been dealing with a spine injury since November 2018. Pain come and goes as they say, but the devils lettuce helps more than the alcohol. Best wishes Paul, enjoy the Bahamas:)

Sorry to hear that Paul. Best wishes. Hope you get through the next few months without too much pain.

BiGGiePaul, spines are tough and it's hard to find someone who will replace it as it is kind of attached to some important things. :unsure:

My wife has some rods in her spine along with her other issues. Not fun. :confused:

Thanks Chad. :)

I am so "Lucky" that I was able to put about 10 fish in my tank in the last few months all from a filthy store where many of the fish exhibited ich and all kinds of other things and yet, I haven't lost anything to disease.

Now I probably have 45 healthy fish none of which were medicated, quarantined or sung to without one loss. My "luck" is unfathomable.

Even on my tangs or other Ich magnets.

I am going to go and call retired Supermodels to see if any of them want to come here to help me look at my tank. Maybe they have better eyesight and can see ich, velvet of Broknella or whatever it is called. :p

What happens Saturday?

This morning I went down to the beach armed with a bucket because it was low tide. The tides here rise about 8' so the water goes way out at low tide and it exposes the rocks that line the bottom of the Sound.

There weren't thousands of amphipods like there will be in a couple of weeks but I got a nice supply. I also collected "Moose" amphipods which are about half to three quarters of an inch for my breeding population.

The main reason I collect this time of the year is for the mud with associated bacteria. I brought home about a cup of that which is also loaded with tiny copepods and amphipods.

After dumping out the floating very fine mud, I added the rest to my tank to the delight of my fish. :)

I lost both of these fish today. The yellow clown gobi I found him half stuck in my Gyre powerhead. He croaked.

And the little bleeny, I accidently caught in my diatom filter. I quickly opened the thing up and got him out. Then I caught him again.
He instantly swam into the inlet as I was putting the screen on. (I do that underwater just after I start it)

I again got him out but he looked like he got hit by a school bus. I put him back in the tank and immediately a cardinal fish ate him whole.

The cardinal was also pretty small and I didn't think he could eat him.

When you keep many tiny fish, this happens. Rarely, but it happens.

Wow you can just add beach mud to your tank? I kinda want to try this, have been battling some Dinos off and on, more biodiversity can’t hurt I’m sure. Any guidance on what/when/where to collect? I’m in the Boston area

Sorry for your losses, I hope that big leather is not too sad to lose her buddies

I collect near any jetties or boat ramps. Someplace where there are plenty of rocks you can access at low tide.
Lift a rock, preferably a flat rock and swirl it in a bucket of seawater. Filter it all through a fine net to eliminate the very fine mud, and throw the rest in your tank.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back