Paul's new build.

I'm starting to construct some aquascape. I've watched a zillion videos on what other people have done for aquascaping looking for ideas and tips. The best tip I got was from Tidal Gardens that used thin cryo cyanate glue and sand to glue the rocks together. Works great.

As for ideas, I found stuff I am going avoid. This was either because I thought the look unnatural or because it didn't provide enough space for coral or hiding places for fish. A good example of this would be Ryan's tank on BRS. At first I thought his negative space aquascape looked really cool and would help with water flow. On further thought I changed my mind and saw that his fish had absolutely no where to hide, and were going to be stressed out. Even after coral grew in, I don't think the smaller fish would be happy. That is exactly what happened and he had to add some more rockwork. Looking at it further, to my eye, when the corals grow in on his aquascape I think it's going to be ball like and unnatural. I hope I'm wrong and time will tell but that's what I see. So the negative space idea is a no-go for me. Maybe a slight variation of it would work.
For myself, I'm going to make a few structures to create 3 or 4 bommies with open space between them. There will be a few arches and I'm going to put some rock structures that float off the back glass. I want to do this to show the depth of the tank which I think important . Most everyone wants to keep detritus from accumulating back there so they leave it open remembering the days when rock was piled up against the back of the tank. I had a tank like that back in the day.
Here's what I started. It's a big tank so I have a long way to go. Can't seem to get a good pic of it.
20210403_133611.jpg

I'm starting to construct some aquascape. I've watched a zillion videos on what other people have done for aquascaping looking for ideas and tips. The best tip I got was from Tidal Gardens that used thin cryo cyanate glue and sand to glue the rocks together. Works great.

As for ideas, I found stuff I am going avoid. This was either because I thought the look unnatural or because it didn't provide enough space for coral or hiding places for fish. A good example of this would be Ryan's tank on BRS. At first I thought his negative space aquascape looked really cool and would help with water flow. On further thought I changed my mind and saw that his fish had absolutely no where to hide, and were going to be stressed out. Even after coral grew in, I don't think the smaller fish would be happy. That is exactly what happened and he had to add some more rockwork. Looking at it further, to my eye, when the corals grow in on his aquascape I think it's going to be ball like and unnatural. I hope I'm wrong and time will tell but that's what I see. So the negative space idea is a no-go for me. Maybe a slight variation of it would work.
For myself, I'm going to make a few structures to create 3 or 4 bommies with open space between them. There will be a few arches and I'm going to put some rock structures that float off the back glass. I want to do this to show the depth of the tank which I think important . Most everyone wants to keep detritus from accumulating back there so they leave it open remembering the days when rock was piled up against the back of the tank. I had a tank like that back in the day.
Here's what I started. It's a big tank so I have a long way to go. Can't seem to get a good pic of it. View attachment 160094

and this structure is glued together only? Cyanoacrylate glue and sand?

looks interesting...

I'm also in bridgewater and meant to hopefully stop by at some point to show my son your old setup. I was admiring your tank (tucked away) at all things aquatic and had no idea lol. Good luck with the build can't wait to see the progress

I'm not sure I'd rely on cyanoacrylate glue in the long run to hold up the rock. Great for attaching corals, but until the coral encrusts I never trust it.

The new sump is in, up and running. Wires and plumbing everywhere but there's no helping it until the new tank arrives and all the holding tanks are taken down. I've organized it all as best I can but it's driving me nuts.
I have no ETA for the tank. Felix told me he is having trouble finding glass and his whole workshop got evacuated for weeks because of that toxic lake that was going to burst its banks in Florida. One consolation is that a year ago when I was deciding if I wanted to continue in the hobby I now know I made the right decision in staying and doing a new build. The past year of not having a tank has been hard and I miss it a lot. Keeping the fish and coral in holding tanks has been a b**** and I would not do that again though. Of course it wasn't supposed to be for this long. Below is the mess in the basement.
20210526_120843.jpg

I made my decision about the lighting. I was going to keep my Radion G4s but changed my mind. I'm going to go with four of the new Kessil A500xs supplemented with ReefBrite XHOs. The Kessils have plenty of PAR and coverage, but as a single point light source I want to make sure there are no shadowing issues. The ReefBrites should take care of that. Basically it's the same recipe that Ryan of BRS used on his tank . Also I think the look of these two lights combined can't be topped. I looked at just about everything including the new Sky lights from Neptune. They have excellent coverage but I just don't like that flat T5 look. Now if only I had a tank to hang the new lights over.......

New lighting installed. One Kessil a500X on back order but the other three and the ReefBrites are up. On my last tank I had all the transformers and electrical under the stand. I was going to do the same again but realized how hard it was going to be to hide all the wires that would have to go down the back of the tank. Also, if I had to replace or service anything it would be really difficult. So all the wiring, transformers and electrical outlets are up over the tank. It took me two days to do but I'm really happy with it. The look is clean and access is easy.. The new Kessils are extremely bright.
20210607_153416.jpg
20210607_153702.jpg

Wires everywhere but only the birds can see them. It's actually a cleaner look than it was with the Radions.

A couple weeks ago Felix said he would do his best to get it to me before Sept 25th. I haven't heard anything since so I'm doubtful.

Love me some leveling cement... I may be using a bag or two to really level out the small pad I just poured in the basement...

At last the tank is being shipped! Should be here in the next week or so. Next challenge is squishing everything in the three holding tanks in the basement into two so I can place the last support columns in place. Hope the fish don't chew each other up in the close space. Then getting the tank into the house and plumbed. Saying prayers to the reefer gods!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back