Ph question

Reefer508

BRS Member
I normal have lower Ph in my tanks, maxing out at 8.2 with lows of 7.7. I don't see any adverse effect with this range, just slower growth. I started use CO2 scrubbers on 2 of my tanks to keep it around the higher end. The scrubbers worked well for months keeping the Ph up. With the nice weather and having windows open, I've been having elevated Ph in 1 of my tanks, with a CO2 scrubber. The last week it has been going up to 8.45. How high is too high? I know I want to minimize swing. I have my controller shut down my protein skimmer at 8.4. It will stay high for a few hours then come back down to a low of 8.2. I'm not seeing anything bad, just not sure if this will be a problem long term. I'm taking the scrubber offline until I see a drop. Also looking for ideas for maybe a solenoid to divert air from scrubber before shutting down skimmer.
Thanks for any input.

In regards to your PH, you almost at that point that I would start to feel uncomfortable and scrambling to lower it. 8.5 and Id be in full panic mode. If your opening the windows your essentially bringing in fresh air. That fresh air will get scrubbed in turn sky rocketing the PH. If you have a Neptune you can get their solenoid valve and connect it in between the skimmer and scrubber. Then a few code lines like if PH > 8.4 solenoid close. Essentially open for fresh are and closed for scrubbed air. You can also just take off the scrubber while your windows are open.

Yeah I’d build in a bypass on the scrubber or potentially remove it if you’ll get higher ph in the summer. Chasing ph is tough but 7.7 is on the low end.

The main problem is accurately measuring Ph. Probes get out of calibration quickly. Mine is measuring high now so I'm leaving it alone as it makes me happy about my nice 8.4 ph!

Yeah I’d build in a bypass on the scrubber or potentially remove it if you’ll get higher ph in the summer. Chasing ph is tough but 7.7 is on the low end.
Yes the 7.7 ph is what drove me to get the scrubber.

The main problem is accurately measuring Ph. Probes get out of calibration quickly. Mine is measuring high now so I'm leaving it alone as it makes me happy about my nice 8.4 ph!
I was think about that and am going to recalibrate this weekend

I dont chase ph anymore. At first I was but gave up as it was getting a little crazy for me to try and keep it stable. I was going to get a co2 scrubber but I didnt like the price tag of always needing to swap out the media. I ended up taking my doors off to my stand to allow more airflow which raised my ph from 7.7 to 8.4 over a few weeks time. Ever sense doing this my ph stays around 8.4 never goes higher but drops to 8.3 at night. You can also try adding a small fan to circulate the air better around the tank as well.

I dont chase ph anymore. At first I was but gave up as it was getting a little crazy for me to try and keep it stable. I was going to get a co2 scrubber but I didnt like the price tag of always needing to swap out the media. I ended up taking my doors off to my stand to allow more airflow which raised my ph from 7.7 to 8.4 over a few weeks time. Ever sense doing this my ph stays around 8.4 never goes higher but drops to 8.3 at night. You can also try adding a small fan to circulate the air better around the tank as well.
I'm not really chasing Ph, just wanted to know what is high limit. I had low Ph for years on a tank and then found out about CO2 affecting it. That tank was on an outside wall so I ran a vent from skimmer air intake to outside and Ph came up, causing better growth. The tank I'm running now is on an inside wall and not easily vented so I went with the scrubber. Normally I'll get a .2 swing in Ph, which is fine.
I've been reading that distilled white vinegar or lemon juice would lower Ph in an emergency, but not finding how much. Any ideas, I was think 1ml per gallon of tank water, too much, not enough?

Screenshot_20210529-124437.png

Never followed up on this, after recalibrating probe, it was reading high, .3 . Still nice to know what to do in an emergency. Thanks again for all the input

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back