QT Question

Mike Lemming

BRS Member
Hey guys,
I have 2 clowns who have been in an unmedicated quarantine setup and today marks 3 weeks. They are both eating, swimming fine and not showing any signs of any type of illness or parasite etc.
how long would you guys keep them in QT before adding them to the main display?
I appreciate the help!

in my very very first few years of doing reef (very little reefing experience), I was always try to QT and monitor fish separately for weeks before adding them to the display tank (what a painful and awful, wasteful process). The result was, fishes always ended up getting sick, parasites and die anyways.
Since the last 10+ years, I don't QT or monitor live stocks any more and I have not had any type of illness or parasites (other than jumping out).
Just look and pay attention to the fish when you buy them from the store and you should be fine (just don't buy sick fish or fish from a tank that has parasites)
The cost to setup a QT tank and the time is just not worth doing it (in my opinion.)

Thanks for that. I’ve been qt’ing for a while, just have never been very successful. I’m contemplating putting these clowns in the main display today. We will see. I just wasn’t sure if ich could show up a month after having them or, do illnesses typically show up within the first week.

It's not a 100% foolproof method, but does give you more fish to watch for signs/symptoms of pathogens.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back