question about brian corals???

arda

sohal tang
i have 180 G tank and i am running 900 w of light but somehow my 3 brain corals are not opening and i was wondering what might be the reason non of the fished nibbling them and my other corals are doing great there might be a reason to it ? in my old tank the where opening crazy big but in this tank they are very little and my tank is runnung allmost like 5 month. thank you guys.

I know you said the fish aren't bothering them, but 9 out of 10 times when only brains don't get puffy, it's the tangs. They rarely do it when you are watching, sometimes you have to observe them unseen.

Other factors can be low mag, flow that is too high.

Low calcium or low alk, or even too high alk.. but unlikey if you are doing regular testing. My money is on the grazers tho.

My tangs don't pick at my brains but my Powder Brown does like to go and rub against the one brain. For a bit afterwards the brain is all flattened out but then comes back nice and puffed up.

I know that when I had to cut my photo period down after I converted to my new bigger/deeper tank, my brain corals were not very happy.

do you guys think should i try to put them on top of the rocks? instead of the sand

Are you speaking of open brains? Have you changed salts recently & as Jeremy asked...Are your parameters all in check? Where is your mag level?

Please Let us know...
B

Open brains don't need alot of light.. moving them higher is probably not going to change anything. It is ok to put them on rocks if you want, but I would keep them in the lower 1/3 of the tank.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back